1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the most underrated player in baseball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Overrated, Jun 9, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You seem to understand my counter argument just fine. Your stat doesn't mean dick if too few people put any stock in it.

Again, I'm not disputing that Sizemore is an outstanding defensive center fielder. I simply think he does get his due and, as an aside, I don't think that statistic you tossed out there is meaningful.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

In the near future someone will devise a program that records distance run after the crack of the bat.

If Crisp can cover 50 yards in 5.5 seconds from the crack of the bat and Edmonds covers 50 yards in 6.7 seconds, then we have a usable tool.

It would combine speed with reading the ball off of the bat, and its day will eventually be here.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Rusty Kuntz

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

No. He's dominant and four-wheeling accidents and doing kegstands.

5. outofplace

No, that's Joel Zumaya. Not sure who this Joel Zumya character is.

And Zumaya would be well down the list of holds guys. Carlos Marmol would probably have to be at the top right now.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The classic/all-time bridge guy used to be Rivera when he would set up Wetteland. Rivera would go 2 innings and then Wetteland would come in for one. Do not see many of those dominant, 2 inning, set up guys anymore. At the time, I thought Rivera was better than Wetteland yet wondered whether he could do the closer thing. Guess so.

7. outofplace

True. It is tough to keep a dominant reliever in a set-up role, but I can think of a few examples since Rivera.

The Angels used Francisco Rodriguez the same way setting up Troy Percival early in his career. The Cubs are doing something similar with Carlos Marmol now. The Dodgers use Jon Broxton the same way, but he is not as consistently effective.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Joakim Soria. Put him on the Red Sox and he would be called the best young closer in the game. But he's on the Royals, so Sox fans won't debate who's better, Soria or Rivera.

9. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

If you want to look at people for their defensive accomplishments, you gotta take a look at Corey Patterson, Curtis Granderson or Joey Gathright...Absolutely amazing outfielders.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Joey Gathright ... still my favorite player in the game! Bless you for mentioning him.

11. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Ryan Ludwick is quietly having an all-star season too...He has 15 HR, 50 RBI and a .317 or so batting average.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Ron Davis was the Yankees' first great hold/bridge guy, for Gossage, wasn't he? (Although Tidrow/George Frazier filled this role as well, no?) I hated Ron Davis with the Twins, blew so many saves it wasn't funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted