1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the most overrated player in baseball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by casty33, Jun 9, 2008.

1. I've given this a lot of thought and I think the correct answer is either Gary Sheffield or Todd Helton.

Cases can be made for either player being a Hall of Famer but to me their value has always seemed to me to be overrated.

Brian Giles and Jason Bay also fit the profile but they play in such obscurity that not many give them enough thought to overrate them

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Carlos Zambrano.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Grady Sizemore - I doubt this guy will ever be a .300 hitter. He strikes out too much.

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Agreed. Cleveland fans acted like this guy is Mickey Mantle...with his .270 average, 22 home runs, 70 RBIs and 30 steals.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

You can't be serious.

And I agree on Grady ... he's never made the jump to superstar. He's merely just another good player.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Giles and Bay are a little different. Both were outstanding players whose level of play dropped dramatically. Look at Giles' numbers from 1999-2002. He really was outstanding.

Bay just wasn't healthy last year. He has had a nice bounce-back season so far. He is batting .288 with a .403 on-base percentage and is on pase for 36 home runs, 120 runs scored and 88 RBI.

Sheffield is interesting. Is a player overrated when it is injuries that hold him back rather than performance?

7. Trey Beamon

Barring injury, those are the kind of numbers Bay puts up year after year.

If anything, I think he's a bit underrated.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I don't think Sheffield makes the list. Even this year, at an injury-prone 39, pitchers are still afraid to pitch to the guy. He's long been one of the most feared all-around hitters in the league.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'd be interested to see what statistics you have to support this nominee.

10. Trey Beamon

Adrian Beltre, at least in relation to salary.

He turned one great season into an enormous payday. Yeah, he's hitting for power (13 HR) this year, but he's also got a .745 OPS. That's middle infield territory, folks.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Yeah, I almost put him on my underrated list. I think the guy is awesome.

12. ned racine

ned racine Member

miggy cabrera.......nice job mr"speaking of overrated" dumbrowski

Draft saved Draft deleted