1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the most overrated player in baseball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by casty33, Jun 9, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Agreed. Jeter is already a proven HOF candidate. While Jeter obviously doesn't hit for power, the guy is a career .314 hitter and plays an outstanding role at SS.

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

He's with the Nationals, on the DL. Not sure anyone ever considered Lo Duca good enough for him to be overrated.

And Jeter may be somewhat overrated, but there's no way he's the most overrated.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's awesome. But I'm pretty sure he meant Rene and Albie.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't think the Mets are building around Beltran anymore -- not with Reyes and Wright. But he's certainly still a big piece in their shuffled puzzle.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Andruw Jones.

He's been terrible, at least with the bat, two years running.

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Beltran's having a down year so far, but his last two years have been 41/116 and 33/112. That's more than solid. He's also driven in at least 100 runs in every full season but one, and he's very good defensively. I agree he's come up small in the clutch too often the last couple of years, but to call him the most overrated is to give him too little credit for his accomplishments, IMO.

The problem with picking Andruw is that nobody rates him very highly anymore. He's the position player version of Barry Zito -- most overpaid, probably, but not most overrated.

That's why I'd go with Joba. He gets talked about as if he's a star, and hasn't done nearly enough to warrant it yet. It's as if the only question is whether he's going to be the next Mariano Rivera or the next Roger Clemens. He's even gotten the full Gary Smith treatment already in SI. Maybe he'll prove to be worth it someday, but right now? Overrated.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Two players, Richie Sexson and Andruw Jones

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

A-Rod in the postseason: .279/.361/.463. Captain Calming Eyes: .309/.377/.469. Miles apart!

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Hands down, Joba. He's extremely talented, but the press and coverage he gets is ridiculous.

Then of course there's Zito, but he's an easy target and I don't think he's even "rated" any longer.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Calling Jeter and/or A-Rod overrated is a really stupid way of expressing the perfectly understandable sentiment "I hate the Yankees." Chamberlain may be overtouted, but not overrated. He hasn't been around long enough to get rated.
    It used to be Jim Edmonds, but not anymore. In fact, I think there's an "overrated" gap in baseball. They're just not making the great overrateds the way they did when I was a kid. I blame aluminum bats and pitchers not throwing enough.

11. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Cole Hamels. Fuck the Cole Patrol. :)

12. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Joba might be a great, but he's much too hyped. I didn't get the Jeter stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted