1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the most over-rated band ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ADifferentOkie, May 1, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Blasphemy! I saw KISS at the Omni in Atlanta when I was in second grade. Got second-hand stoned.

My vote would go to Led Zepplin. [/ducking]

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I think the only was to advance this discussion seriously is to take both the Beatles and Stones off the table, like those NHL fantasy leagues that used to exlude Greztky in the interest of competitive balance.

Today, and it pains me to say this because I am a longtime fan, R.E.M. is overrated.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

This is actually an intriguing choice, if you believe that no band, including the Beatles, could ever live up to the Beatles' reputation.

However, considering their rep was based not on hype but on actual accomplishments both musical and social, that would be a flawed argument. :)

I'd actually rather see a thread about the most underrated bands and artists of all time. Of course, that's probably been done here more than once.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

John,

After that post, I'm pretty sure you're still stoned.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Since I'm ready to go to sleep, I'll throw this one out there and then disappear for the night because I know I'm gonna get killed:

Nirvana

6. I agree with Rush and definitely KISS. I've got at least one more in my head but I need to think about it.

7. We can talk about underrated, but I think you'd just end up with a bunch of bands no one has heard of.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I thought about putting them down before I settled on KISS. Either way ...

And spnited, yeah, I disagree with you on Nirvana there.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

The band hasn't been the same since Berry retired, but it was fading even before that. The first five or six albums are still outstanding.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

There are some awesome Stones songs on their 60s albums that have been semi-forgotten because they never made it onto the various compilations or live albums. If I was a kid back then, I definitely would have been a Stones guy more than a Beatles guy.

SC, I've always figured Rush was like gigantic donuts or major junior hockey- you have to be Canadian to get it. Never liked them, myself. But I was a punker who hated all that overblown 70s shit. Fuckin' Ramones saved rock from itself.

Spirited, I'm in my late 30s (Generation X in pop culture-speak) and I've noticed that most rock fans younger than me don't regard the Beatles as being the singular defining band in the history of the genre. They're considered greats, but peers with Chuck Berry, Elvis, Stones, Hendrix, Led Zep, etc. One of the pantheon, but not the undisputed best.

And oh man, FUCK the Eagles. Now Gram Parsons, that's another matter altogether. He was good.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

That would explain a great deal. Still don't care for Zepplin.

12. How does anyone like KISS but not Zepplin?
    I know it's all personal tastes, but damn. That's like saying, "I can't stand apple pie, but I sure could go for some Ramen noodles."

Draft saved Draft deleted