1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the best game show host of all time?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mike311gd, Jun 15, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Didn't he die recently along with his wife? I think they owned a plane and they flew medical missions with it and it went into the Pacific.

2. Damn, really?

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Apparently last year, sorry to say.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Tomarken

4. Hustle

Hustle Guest

How could we have forgotten Mark Richards and Geoff Edwards on Starcade? :)

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Re: In memory of Bob Barker, who is the best game show host of all time?

After all, he did learn from the best while being a panelist on The Match Game (see Rayburn, Gene). ;D

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

One vote for the dude who hosted Supermarket Sweep. Talk about a show with a frantic pace.

7. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

The late, great Nipsey Russell had a short run (as in just a few weeks) as a host back in the 1980s. Don't remember the show, but he was extremely funny...

Don't know if anyone noticed, but TPIR's final pricing game was the same as Bob's first in 1972: Any Number.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Re: In memory of Bob Barker, who is the best game show host of all time?

Do not ever mention him on this list again as long as you live. Fuck that guy.

Whoever brought up Jim Perry, thank you. I was trying to remember who hosted "Sale of the Century." Great show.

Along with Chuck Woolery, Rolf-something (the former Charger kicker) was also a host on "Wheel."

Hey, we forgot another candidate to the list: Peter Marshall. And no, Whoopi doesn't count. Cullen and Barker is the gold standard, but Kennedy was versatile as well. "Break the Bank," "Body Language," "Super Password" when Ludden died, and he hosted several TPIR's while Bob was gone. His brother, Jack Narz, was also an old-school game show host.

I think Nipsey did "The Pyramid." He was a lifer on that show, alongside Dick Clark (ah snap, what about Dick?)

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Man, how I loved Night School Hi-Q.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

David Ruprecht.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

That's not something I'd admit to knowing, even if I had cared enough to Google it. :D

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Story from the Daytime Emmys ...

Bob Barker endorsed his friend Rosie O'Donnell as a possible successor on "The Price Is Right," although the newly retired host isn't sure CBS wants a woman to take over the game show.

Draft saved Draft deleted