1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the best college football player ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think we're going to hear this debate a lot as the sun sets on Tebow's career.

Herschel Walker is the best college player I have ever seen.

Curious what people's thoughts are...

2. When I saw the thread headline, Herschel Walker's name jumped into my head. Unbelievably dominant at Georgia. I'd agree with Mizzou -- best college player I ever saw.

3. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I am too young to have seen Herschel Walker play.

Since I have been watching college ball (1993 or 1994) the best player I can remember seeing is Reggie Bush, but I don't think he is the best college player ever.

4. Mizzougrad96

In my lifetime (36 years) off the top of my head and I'm sure I'm missing someone...

In no order...

Herschel Walker
    Tim Tebow
    Billy Sims
    Matt Leinart
    Bo Jackson
    Brian Bosworth
    Charles Woodson
    Peyton Manning
    Ricky Williams

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'm too young to remember Walker at Georgia but judging from the clips I've seen, it seems like he was another level.

Barry Sanders has to be up there, too.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'd add my vote for Walker too. Still remember that article SI did on him at Georgia that showed him running without a shirt on.

I think we could probably come up with suggestions by position. Tough to compare Walker to Hugh Green or Ronnie Lott or Tebow or whomever.

7. Mizzougrad96

Sanders really only had one year at OSU where he did anything and I think that's why he doesn't make many of these lists.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I just think that one year was too overwhelming to ignore.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No Jim Brown?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

The first year I can really remember watching sports was 1980 (bits and pieces of memories before that) and I just remember how goddamn dominant Walker was. My Dad doesn't like college football but he made sure we were watching the Sugar Bowl that year, when Walker single-handedly led Georgia past Penn State (I think) for the national title.

Still, my choice is Gordon Lockbaum. [/suckitChris_L] :D :D :D

11. Mizzougrad96

Actually Penn State beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl that year.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I wouldn't include Leinart. I guess it is a style thing, but never Leinart never made a play where I went "Holy shit!" Guys like Tebow or Ricky Williams made plays where it didn't matter if I was rooting for them or against them, I just sat in awe. I was rooting hard for Fresno State against USC, but I had to respect what Reggie Bush was doing out there. Vince Young deserves to go far, far, far ahead of Leinart.

Draft saved Draft deleted