1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the best black quarterback in NFL history?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

As usual threads like these turn into just a laundry list much like what happens with the song and movie threads.

To add to laundry list let's include Marlon Briscoe, Conridge Hollaway and Andre Ware.

I agee with Dooley on Sam Cunningham. Think he was the best and also most underated.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Won't argue that Donovan McNabb is superb - if anything, it can be argued that except for the year-plus with the diva at WR, he hasn't had the cast that Cunningham did (one year with Cris Carter and a Randy Moss who gave a crap) and some seasons with Fred Barnett and Calvin Williams, who aren't too shabby.

More support for Cunningham and McNair than any intent of pushing McNabb down.

3. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Cunningham better than McNair? That's crazy talk.

1. Moon
    2. McNabb (Honestly, I could put him #1. Dude led his team to the Super Bowl and a bunch of NFC championship games with very little help some years.)
    3. McNair
    4. Williams
    5. Cunningham
    6. Vick*

*Probably would've ended up as high as number three if he wasn't one of the biggest knuckleheads on the planet.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Quincy (hiccup) Carter wants (burp) some love (zzzzz).

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

How about Dante Culpepper in the conversation? Yeah he had Moss, but he was still pretty good until blowing his knee out every which way.

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

1. Moon
    2. Cunningham, he went to my alma mater, gotta give him some love :)
    3. Williams
    4. McNabb

Slight aside here, but when I was in school I had the chance to talk to Cunningham on several occasions. One of the classiest people I have ever met.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

BUT, BUT, BUT HOW CAN YOU FORGET ANTWAAN RANDLE-EL AND HINES WARD [/Yet another Steelers threadjack]

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Seneca Wallace [/Seahawks Fanboi Looser]

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Wait - we got this far without mentioning Jason Campbell?

But he NEVER throws interceptions (or touchdown passes, or completions that actually result in first downs, or long passes, or throws which require a big-time arm to make......)

11. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind any of the four (Moon, McNabb, McNair or Randall) QBing my team. But if I had to pick one, I think I would take McNabb.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Gilliam did die suddenly on Christmas 2000 of a heart attack, but not with drugs in his system. He had been sober for four years and actually went to the final game at Three Rivers Stadium. Cocaine and alcohol problems sidetracked what could have been a nice NFL career -- he actually entered the Steelers' championship 1974 season as the starter, going 4-1-1, but Noll switched to Bradshaw midseason and the rest is history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.