1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the best black quarterback in NFL history?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Oh Lord. I'm not one to pick on the Steeler fans, but Joe Gilliam? For crying out loud.

Gilliam was a starter for half-a-season. No way he even belongs in the discussion.

If you want to bring up a black QB from the 70s, forget Gilliam, how 'bout James Harris?

[​IMG]

Heck, for that matter, why not Vince Evans?

[​IMG]

Matthew 6:33, by the way, is ...

"And he shall sit the bench for the L.A./Oakland Raiders for all eternity."

As for my list ...

1. Warren Moon
    2. Donovan McNabb
    3. Doug Williams
    4. Randall Cunningham
    5. Steve McNair
    6. Fritz Pollard
    7. Michael Vick
    8. Rodney Peete
    9. James Harris
    10. Vince Evans
    11. Kordell Stewart
    12 (tie). David Garrard & Byron Leftwich

Williams, Cunningham and Vick are the enigmas. Williams probably gets too much credit for both the '79 Bucs and definitely the '87 Redskins, both were primarily running teams with good-to-great defenses, but he probably doesn't get enough credit for other decent Bucs teams that threw more, like the '81 Bucs, who were division winners. Obviously his sojourn into the USFL hurt him big time too.

Cunningham was electric for that one season in Philly, but never again lived up to it, and I especially include his totally bogus '98 MVP year, when Randy Moss (who should have been MVP in Cunningham's place) bailed him out repeatedly by hauling in his under-thrown passes. Atlanta finally figured out that Cunningham couldn't throw downfield that well, defended Moss accordingly, and it helped them win the NFC Championship.

Vick's issues are obviously well-documented, but if someone is compiling a list of good-to-great black QBs, he needs to be there.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Bubbler

Shit. Forgot about Blake. Wedge him in between James Harris and Vince Evans on my list.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think the mention of Gilliam was meant in jest, especially since it was right along iwth a mention of Kordell Stewart, though he is a sad story of wasted potential.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Bubbs, this is probably my UVa fanboi bias showing, but if you're going down far enough to rank Leftwich and Garrard, then Aaron Brooks needs to be on your list somewhere.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

No love for Akili Smith?

6. Bubbler

I'd probably add Brooks to their tie, but I've never been a big fan of his. His decision-making absolutely blows.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

As a Saints fan of long standing, I scream loudly, NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Vince Evans and Jeff Blake both had their moments, but, ah no......

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'll agree with you on the decision making, but he's got more TD passes than all but four of the guys on your list (not including Williams' USFL stats).

EDIT: All but five if you count Blake.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yes. Very mobile and while his release is kinda slow, he could throw the ball a freaking mile. Much better throwing arm than McNair and McNabb. No way he's ahead of Warren Moon, though.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Brooks was terrible. Back when he was with the Saints, a friend and I coined the term "the Aaron Brooks game." He'd throw two or three TDs in the first half, maybe run for one, then fumble and throw two picks in the fourth quarter. As a result, the Saints would lose almost every game 35-28 or some such.
    Great for fantasy purposes. Maddening if you're a Saints fan.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think McNabb's body of work is far more impressive than Cunningham's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.