1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is still in the biz: Your college newspaper staff

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jun 20, 2013.

1. SURFCAV

SURFCAV Member

Ya I saw it when i was a kid. Actually I liked the TV show Friday Night Lights. Any thoughts? I made my gf in cally watch all 5 seasons on dvd and she still didn't move to Texas with me when I explained that was going to be my new job. :mad:

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Your job is watching all five seasons of the TV show Friday Night Lights on DVD?

3. SURFCAV

SURFCAV Member

NO IDIOT READ THE CONTEXT. And i like ur jerry seinfeld lawyer pic, are you as big of a scumbag of the character you represent?

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Are the Marines as tough as the GI Joe with the Kung Fu Grip?

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Why didn't any idiots read the context?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is your best work here. Or you're best work hear.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It's you're, not your.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Manky Marine Soldier Guy!

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

To my knowledge, we've got one still left in the business. He's the managing editor of a small paper near a major college town.

What's funny about it is that he and I started at the same small newspaper on the same day after graduation. He quit like two or three weeks later, if that, because he was upset by covering a fire that had destroyed all of a family's possessions. Didn't think he could handle the gig because of stuff like that.

And he's the last man standing.

Other than that, among the stalwarts, we've got me. We've got my assistant ME who works for some sort of marketing firm and never worked in journalism, which was a shocker because it was in her blood. But similarly to the other guy, she said she decided she couldn't do it after we had to cover the murder of a fellow student in college. Another is Don Draper - she's an art director at an ad agency (she was also an art history major). Another ran a successful United States Senate campaign, and now runs his own political consulting firm and writes GOP propaganda pieces for the college newspaper's Web site. Other guy owns his own PR firm.

That's the core of us who were really involved during my years in leadership. The editor in chief when I got there is a business reporter now for a speciality publication. Her husband (did not go to school with us) is an NHL beat writer.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And to think I missed all this last night while putting out the paper.

It's early, but fetch me a beer, surfcav.

11. One guy is still in college going for his bachelor's in something. Don't know if or when he'll graduate.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Dude!

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted