1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is in or ready to enter grad school now?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

We've all read about others leaving the business for grad school or law school? Wondering how many people are in grad school right now.

I'm starting an MA program in political science in May. Looked into MPA programs, but want to keep the option of a PhD in poli sci open.

For those in grad school, how many are going the poli sci or MPA route? I know there are a few members of the site studying journalism for their graduate studies. If applicable, why did you choose that route?

2. DietCoke

DietCoke Member

3. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Just graduated law school, currently studying for the bar, have a job lined up that I start in April.

Grad school is what you make of it. My best advice would be to go in with a plan and immediately start networking with an eye toward fullfiling that plan. I see too many people who go to grad school without any real plan beside "oh, this seems interesting!" and they almost always end up unemployed at the end.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Be especially careful of graduate degrees in humanities/journalism unless you have a burning desire to study in those areas. I would square this warning if you are thinking of entering higher education. Tenure-track jobs in those disciplines (which don't tend to pay all that well) are unbelievably difficult to get and keep. And if you're not on the tenure track, you're going to be piecing out an existence that makes free-lancing look positively luxurious.

Draft saved Draft deleted