1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who invented volleyball shorts?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BertoltBrecht, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

For the most part, yes - if we're talking about middle or high school. One year, the coaches asked our opinion but it was ultimately their decision.

Now, in club or travel - we had a say-so in our uniform and colors.

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Would you be willing to pose for speedo shots?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Some coaches do. Usually the gung-ho club volleyball "authorities on the sport," or as Sxy noted, the big-deal former players "here's how we did it when I won the Laguna Beach Open in 1984," etc etc.

It's driven a fair number of girls to quit. High school is when kids are at their most self-conscious, and not everybody can be Jessica Alba. If you're a slightly-thicker girl, a little (or more) junk in the trunk, and you hear snickers every time you walk on the court, unless you really really love volleyball, odds are pretty good you'll just say "the hell with it."

And, some of the real gung-ho club coaches have used this very fact to put the heat on their players to lose the last 10-15 pounds they want them to lose.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wow, Starman, never thought I'd say this to you, but cue up the waaaaaaaaa-mbulance!

Girls who participate in high school athletics better learn quickly that their bodies never will be perfect when shown on camera.

While we all are insecure at that age, it is no excuse to fret about "how will I look in short-shorts?"

That all being said, the use of short-shorts is a little ridiculous. But worrying about a girl's self-esteem is not the reason to ban 'em.

------

Getting back to underage dating: At an old shop, a former sports stringer (under the regime prior to mine) was dating one of the news reporters. There was a clear 10-, 12-year age gap. He went to work for a sister paper, and she stopped stringing. It worked itself out.

Still, creepy.

Wasn't there a story told on here a few years ago about a sketchy photog and sexual harassment?

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

This reminds me of covering a surf contest on Labor Day and having some lady ask me if I was filming her with my cheap Verizon phone, which I had flipped open to check my fantasy baseball team. Of all the women on the beach, most clad in bikinis, this 40-something gal with bleach-burnt hair and leathery skin thinks I'm focusing on her A-line sun dress.

6. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Screw the fantasy sports, that sounds like the real home run right there.

7. Starman

Well, if I were a parent of a high school girl who, for whatever reasons, whether she was pudgy or not, didn't want to play volleyball in bun-huggers straight out of www.scanty-panties.com, and the jackass coach started launching into a lengthy spiel why it's really better to play in them, I think about 24 seconds later, I'd be in the office of the AD/principal/superintendent, saying, "Well, Mr. (or Ms.) Volleyball Coach, what say you explain to us right now, exactly why it's so important to you that our teenage daughters come out in skintight spandex panties? Can you explain the motivations behind that one?? Speak clearly now, because we'll be passing your answer along to our family lawyer."

P.S.: I don't personally know if there really is a site such as www.scanty-panties.com, but I suppose if there isn't, there should be.

:eek: ::) :eek:

EDIT: Clicked the link; there is. Happy days. God bless the Internets. ;D ;D

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Up here I think it is players choice at most high schools as you see players on the same team wearing both the tights and regular shorts. I've never really understood the reasoning behind the tights. But when covering college volleyball I never have really complained either. In fact it has more or less kept me interested in the game when really I couldn't give two shits about volleyball.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Flash photography is banned at high school volleyball matches in my state, so you end up getting mostly grainy shit when you try to shoot the sport in these dank gymnasiums.

As for revealing uniforms, I always thought track and field presented more opportunity to be perceived as a perv.

10. Starman

Fine. No pictures in the paper.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Good news! There is.

EDIT: Oh, so you had to check as well.......

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The panties weren't scanty. Lame.

Draft saved Draft deleted