1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who, if anyone, has influenced you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Eagleboy, Oct 25, 2007.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Terry Douglass, the man who got me out of McDonalds and into the newsroom, taught me about professionalism and showed me you can do a good job and still have time for your family (OK, so I haven't taken all those lessons to heart). I can't even begin to thank him enough for all he's done for me.

---------------

Not related to the above, but still in the spirit of the thread:
    http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA102407.01B.rodriguez.32ef328.html

2. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

Come on, if you're going to quote one of the great movies of all-time, get it right:

Raymond Shaw is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Reading: The Sports Illustrated crew of the 60s and 70s, Deford, Nack and Kram especially. Inside Sports for the great, short-lived 80s period.

Personally, positively and negatively: Dick Beddoes. When I met him in high school at a vegetarian restaurant (at the time Toronto's only) the Globe and Mail columnist, in his prime, had the arm of some blonde dish, drove a sports car and couldn't have been kinder and more decent. Fedora and everything. When I interviewed him 10 years or so later--when he was past it and caught red-handed plagiarizing the Sunday NYT--he played like he was too big to talk to. I took him to lunch, paid and asked him what happened to the guy I met way back. I vowed never to become that guy. I can't wear a fedora anyway.

YHS, etc

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Wow, this one is a good one. However, I am influenced by broadcasters and writers too.

If there are two journalists, broadcasts ones that have influenced me in striving to be a better journalist.
    I can't mention their names (but they know who they are) but I can tell you what how they have been influencial.

One works for a major broadcast news market in the States. I have consulted with him, many a time about stories I am working on or situations that have arisen and he had been a great source of help. I am always in awe of how his stories come together and are well presented. Numerous times, he has helped me with school assignments, stories or ethical dilemmas. He has done a little sports, but he is mainly news. However, I don't think you necessarily have to be a sports journalist to be influencial to others. This person has done this for me. He also is influencial with the hard working attitude and how he has gone up the journalism ladder for so many years. He has experienced a lot and he makes someone like me aspire to have a career such as him. His pleasant demeanour with others, especially in the business makes me believe that there are not everyone is jaded in the industry. His caring , yet respectful way with people he interviews has influenced my way of interviewing while being objective and unbiased. He has been a big part of my growth in the journalism field in the last few years.

The second person I cannot mention has done a lot in their field of sports journalism. He is hard working and wants people to do well in the field, especially ones who are still trying to get into the field.
    They dispensed areas where I could find opportunities to bolster my aspirations. What he has accomplished is amazing too. They made it possible for me to spead wings that I thought I would never have. The amount of knowledge this person had is amazing and makes me want to learn and know as much as I can about the sports journalism field and portray it in the work I do. Also, this person is not scared to ask tough questions and, he has done it with professionalism and respect for others. I aspire to have a career like his' in the future. He also bucked the trend that you need a degree to succeed in the business. He puts his heart and soul in all his work because he is passionate about sports, and it is so apparent with every piece of journalism work he has done.

With both men, their values and approach to a broadcast market is what influences me. It's not the saturation of opinion and performance that many broadcast journalists are guilty of these days. These two buck that notion.

6. You just tell 'em. The ballgame's over.
    (The Manchurian Threadjack continues...)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. my 6th grade teacher. she planted the seed for a journalism career in my head

8. In chronological order:

1) My 4th grade teacher
    2) My HS journalism teacher
    3) My college sports editor
    4) My college EIC when I was adviser
    5) The now-columnist who took me under his wing
    6) My ASE at the metro I strung for
    7) Every single writer in BASW for the last 10 years
    8) My dad
    9) Jim Murray
    10) JMac, DoubleDown and Jones for their critiques on this board

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Wow, I wish I could name 'em all.

1) My first boss, now a big-name writer who's a lightning rod for both praise and intense criticism on this board. Set the tone for my whole career. Didn't always like how hard he pushed, but his mantra was "take chances," and that fit with my personal beliefs.

2) A guy few here have ever heard of named Lanky Long. I didn't even work for him -- he was gone before I got there -- but he set the tone for my second sports department that carried over long enough to be a positive for me.

3) My ME at a now-defunct paper named Mike Davis. Wonder what Mike's doing now (there are Mike Davises out there, never sure if any of them is this one).

4) Bernie Lincicome.

5) My ME at my first sports editor job, a woman now out of the business. Tough as nails, and I had a couple of screaming matches with her unrivaled by any other in my career. Many hated her style. I adored her.

6) Top five metro daily sports editor, now semi-retired into writing. I considered him a mentor long before I worked at his paper.

I'm outed to some of the few acquaintances who frequent here who don't already know who I am if they put together the pieces.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Overall, no one kicked my ass more than Tim Stephens, now an ASE in Orlando. Half the time during my internship, I wanted to kick the shit out of him. The other half, I wanted to buy him a beer. Always ended up very appreciative. Easily the best coach I've had.
    One of my older sisters got me started w/ writing when I was 15, so I would have to say she's the most influential toward me even doing this.

11. Sister Marie de Paul -- Sisters of St. Joseph.

12. I really had to think about this one. Of course, my writing style has been inspired by various people I've never met and probably never will. But, personally, I don't think I've worked with anyone -- through six years and two different beats -- that I can give credit to as the person that influenced how I work. Too much turnover to really work with anyone for an extended period and too many people around my age that don't know much more than I do. Not an ideal situation, but the hand I've been dealt.

Draft saved Draft deleted