1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who here has been suspended?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 25, 2008.

1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Came really close once, many years ago, when I was on the desk. I made a grammar change, in a column written by a very famous and very prickly columnist. The change was, in retrospect, one of those things you could argue either way. Given the shitstorm that followed, I should have just left it alone.
    Anyhow, the SE at the time was really invested in keeping this prickly, famous columnist happy (didn't work, he left the biz soon anyway). The SE called my house about my "mistake." I explained how it happened, apologized, said it wouldn't happen again.
    He continued to "investigate" and called my house again, after another guy on the desk gave a slightly different version of events than what I'd sketched out. I went over the whole thing again, apologized again.
    He called my house a third time, while we were sitting down to dinner, basically just to continue to harangue and belittle me. By this point, my wife was in tears. I cut him off and said. "Look, (name withheld), I've explained and I've apologized. I don't know what else you're looking for here, but you aren't getting it. See you at the office. Don't call back again tonight."
    He was sputtering suspension threats when I hung up the phone, but we are a guild shop and I knew that was a fight he wasn't going to win.
    I reported for my shift at the usual time and never heard asnother word about it.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I've seen a 40-something married man feel up 20-something college senior chick in the office. He was not suspended.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

With or without consent?
    If it was without, he should have been arrested.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was felt up at the RDR: by an ad guy who stroked my face because, he said, "I wanted to feel your whiskers." Took all my might not to belt him.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

With.

6. Moderator1

Then both should have been suspended at the very least.
    Some shit you just don't do in the office.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Preachin' to the choir, boss dude

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Sounds like you were sexually harrassed to me. That's intense.

9. Moderator1

Yeah, I know. Just saying.

10. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Not quite, but almost.

Almost got into a fist fight with an assistant coach, who was friends of the publisher. He was quite aware of his advantageous social relationship, and had a habit of beating me across the brow with it whenever possible. Finally, he came in on deadline to rip me about a headline to a story that ran earlier in the week. I tried to be friendly, courteous, polite, but he wouldn't let it be. He kept called me stupid, ignorant and then it got worse. I told him to leave and come back when he could talk without insulting me, instead, he refused to leave and the next thing I know we are in each other's face and shouting while the ME was pulling me away.

I thought I was history, but apparently I was more valuable than I thought, because the publisher discussed it with the ME and they both decided that "both sides were at fault" and I never heard a word about it again.

I had a perfect record dealing with nutjobs up till that point, so I was pretty pissed at myself for getting mad.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

A guy I went to high school with felt another guy's ass in a Target in Seattle. He was arrested and convicted of a felony. Spent a year in prison.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He's lucky it wasn't a Wal-Mart.

Draft saved Draft deleted