1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who here has a crown?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Norman Stansfield, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

As in dental work.

I've got to go get one here shortly and was wondering how long it takes, and how expensive it is (roughly).

I have dental insurance, but I'm guessing it'll cover roughly the gas I'll waste driving to the dentist's office and that's about it.

I'm hoping it doesn't cut into my xmas shopping money too much.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I got one when I had to have a root canal a few months ago. I'll find the thread.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1258372/

I think the $450 was for the crown and the finishing of the root canal. So probably $350 for a crown? Maybe?

3. Did you find root canal as freaking boring as I did?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry no crown. Just a tiara.

5. BBJones

BBJones Guest

A crown depends on the tooth. The closer to the front of the mouth, the less it will cost. They can run 8 bills, though.
    I've never had one, thankfully, but was cautioned against the kind of tooth abuse that leads to them, and my dentist used a price guide to motivate me.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I'm sure price is determined by where you live. Beverly Hills or Bumphuck Valley. Also, what kind of crown you get, gold, silver, porcelain. I just got a porcelain crown. It was slightly less than $1,000. Insurance (I have the DPO so I can go to any dentist I want) paid about half so it cost me about $500.
    You go in, they get rid of the bad tooth and clean up all the decay, take impressions, maybe an X-ray. They make a temporary right then so you don'tr have a hole in your smile. They send out to a lab to make the final crown. Takes about 2 weeks. You go back when the real crown is ready, they put it in. The second visit, they probably won't even need to get you numb. You might have to go back once or twice for minor adjustments to make sure your bite is correct.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Damn. I thought this thread was going to be about car air fresheners ...

8. Norman Stansfield

Cool. Thanks for the info, guys.

I'm assuming I will be getting a porcelain crown, since my doctor is an 'expert' in 'aesthetic dentristry'. It is way in the back of my mouth, though, so I don't know if it really matters.

And thank GOD I don't need a root canal. I'm scared to death of the idea of those, although I can't say for sure why.

9. [​IMG]

Have one on me.

10. Norman Stansfield

Thanks, Fen. I could use a little mood altering before I sit down in that dreaded chair.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Got one about 20 years ago. Was still on daddy's insurance thankfully. Mine is gold. The first one only lasted a couple of years because it basically rotted from the inside out. Root canals aren't as bad as everyone says. The worst part is the anticipation.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Disagree. I would rather have my tooth chewed out by a rabid rat than have a root canal again.

Draft saved Draft deleted