1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who has used inflight wifi?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Mar 15, 2010.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I'm gonna be flying cross country on Thursday and was hoping I'd be able to use the wifi on Delta to watch the tourney on my laptop. Wifi provided by Gogo. Not sure if it gives you a good enough connection for watching streaming video though.

Anyone have any experience with this?

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I didn't do streaming video, but I've used wifi on an AirTrain flight and it worked great. Fast connection, no real different from being in my house, which was sort of amazing actually. I'm sure I'm one of only a handful of people to log onto this site from 35,000 feet.

3. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Used it on Delta about a month ago on my phone. It was fast. Kind of expensive, but what choice do you have at 33K feet.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've used it, but nothing beyond checking email and Facebook. It was pretty slow. I can't imagine streaming video would work very well, but I've never tried.

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I downloaded the NCAA tourney iPhone App, which is designed to watch streaming games on a phone. I may go that route instead of the laptop, since it probably uses less bandwidth for that feed than the normal web site.

Worst case scenario, I can listen.

6. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

It would probably work fine for audio, but video might be a reach. It does suck the iPhone battery pretty hard and there aren't a lot of places to plug a phone in on a plane.

Draft saved Draft deleted