1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who gives a shiyat about Survivor? Thoughts...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

AlleyAllen is right on! I second his posts.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Ya know, there are a hell of a lot of good shows with very, very thick plots on right now. The whole "TV is doomed. America sucks" thing really comes from paying attention to the worst of the worst (that said, I love Survivor.)

There are a whole lot of shows you can't just sit in on for any one episode these days because so many have huge, complex plots. Lost, Hereos and Studio 60 come to mind as ones I watch, but I'm sure there are more. The Office is a great comedy, and I really like Scrubs, too. Hell, even South Park is often (not always) well thought out. Granted, they're not all renditions of great plays, but they're thick nevertheless, and not cheap, trashy TV. And then there's 24 -- along with Survivor it's my other guilty pleasure. I can't want to see Jack kick some China ass. Just think -- he's probably polishing his man purse right now and charging cell phone batteries. Gonna be a long season.

That all said -- Yul is the man. I only started watching Survivor right before all-star, the one with Rupert and crew. I like last one with Terry, but he was such a badass that the idol wasn't a factor. This time Yul has been great with it though, even though it still hasn't been played. Ozzy is pretty good too, but I'm afraid one of them isn't going to make it to the final three or four because they ousted the wrong guy last week -- Jonathan may have been playing a bit too hard, but he was better to have around than Adam or that girl.

3. Alley, if you actually read any of my posts on this, I said I didn't watch Survivor anymore, but I love how you KNOW what is good tv and what is not. Maybe dyepack was right about you.

4. I guess my point is millions and millions of people watch this stuff, so I guess whether it is good tv or not is irrelevant. It is successful tv.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'll go on record as a fan of this season's survivor.

Yul should win, but probably won't because the jury thinks he's 'in charge.' Ozzy will be voted off soon because he's just too good for the others to have hang around.

Adam and Parvaty shouldn't win, but if Adam wins a couple more challenges he's got a great shot because he has friends in the jury. But he is a lazy turd. I think the crew should have kept Jonathan for another week and tossed Adam because he is such a threat.

Sundra and Becky are flying under the radar. I can see Becky in the final two and sneaking out with the win because she has made zero enemies.

I don't get to watch every episode this year, but I make a point of watching it later online or via comcast on demand. It's been a good season.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wow. Are you actually going to quote Dyepack as a voice of authority or reason? Credibility for you shot to hell right there.

And, last I checked, it was an opinion I stated, not a fact. You're entitled to think these shows are good, and so are millions of other Americans.

They're all wrong, though. :D

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Have not watched an episode since it debuted however many years ago.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Pilot, I don't disagree with you. There certainly are shows out there which probably are worth watching, but the overflow of doctor/hospital shows, or cop shows, or detective shows or reality shows gets cumbersome.

So I let my remote do the talking and I do everything in my power to hurt the ratings of these shows by NOT WATCHING them. But if I could do more to hurt those ratings, believe me, I would. It's not just the reality shows on network TV that bother me. What bothers me is how it's spread to nearly every channel on the dial. It's like a cancer that's spreading, a cancer of cheap, vapid, brainless entertainment -- entertainment for the masses, apparently -- and I want to make sure the few shows I do like don't get infected.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I couldn't believe Yul didn't take Jonathon to the final three with him.

He could have taken Becky to there as well and I don't see a way he loses.

Now, Ozzy has to be the front runner.

Not many enemies on the jury, and he could possibly win every immunity from here on out.

Still wondering how they'll do the jury since they started a spot early this time.

10. That's why I called you bitter. :-*

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So anyone who tries to fix something they don't like is bitter? Thanks for the definition.

You're still wrong, but hey, you're from Pittsburgh. Nobody's perfect.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

wow, is it really 12 seasons. And I've never watched a single episode, I'm very happy to say.

Do any of you really believe that this entire show isn't complete staged, scripted and planned?
    Do you really believe those people, spend all that time out in the "wild" and not back at some hotel every night?
    Are you all that stupid?

Draft saved Draft deleted