1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Gets Teixeira?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), May 28, 2008.

?

Mark Teixeira will be the most sought after free agent after the season. Who does he end up signing

1. New York Yankees

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. New York Mets

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Atlanta Braves

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Baltimore Orioles

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Other

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The Royals offered Torii Hunter five years and $70 million last offseason, only to have the Angels offer five years and $90 million at the last second. If the Royals feel a player's worth it, they will pony up. They shouldn't be mentioned in the same post as the Pirates anymore.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The Mets have the contracts of Pedro Martinez, El Duque and Oliver Perez coming off the books, and a club option on Delgado's. I think Minaya will use that coin on Teixeira and C.C. Sabathia.

3. FWIW - A-Rod and Giambi haven't proven to be the keys to a championship either but that hasn't kept the Yankees from opening the vaults for them.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. The Royals probably aren't going to be able to compete if one of the big boys decides to go all out in the bidding, but they are definitely trying. The Pirates gave up trying a long time ago.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

He's not staying. Boras' ego won't let him. This negotiation will be about Boras - as he thinks it should always be - and Atlanta is not going to pony up the bucks after someone else makes a ridiculous offer.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Fixed

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Exactly. I think the Braves decided years ago that negotiating with Boras wasn't, shall we say, a viable part of their business model.

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Seattle will be in the bidding, because Bavasi always fulfills his role as the agent's pressure point. The Mariners seem to be second in every signing ... driving up the bidding when they probably were never in the chase. Then again, Bavasi will probably be consulting for some other team in the next FA cycle, so who knows.

I bring no real baseball knowledge to the table, so here's a question for those who do and for those who think Sabathia will get paid in an unprecedented way ... will the Barry Zito Debacle finally scare teams away from making long-term commitments to pitchers? Thanks ... I'll take your comments off the air.

9. Zito and Sabathia are two different types of pitcher. Sabathia is a more of a thrower and Zito more of a finesse pitcher. It will be Sabathia's weight if anything that will scare off suitors. However, he's really it as far as available aces in free agency so he will get between Zito and Santana money. My guess is that he stays with the Indians.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Zito had shown signs of decline before he got that big deal with the Giants.

Sabathia had a rough start this season, but he has rebounded nicely. If he finishes 2008 strong, the big money will be there.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Don't you guys worry about Zito. He'll be just fine.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

The Rangers disagree. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted