1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who else is working Christmas day?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Aussie_Nick, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Aussie_Nick

Aussie_Nick Member

Ho ho bloody ho.

No matter how often it happens, it still goes down like a razorblade for the family.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Moi. I've got no family around here, and I'm currently single, so it turns out great for me (the double-time-and-half I get helps too).

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Same answer as SC.

Family is far away, the OT pay is nice, and it's an easy, stress-free shift to work. I never mind working holidays.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I'm in.

Family lives 20 miles away, so I let my staff go home for the holidays. Two of the three have family far away (although one will be flying to cover the Alamo Bowl Christmas night).

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm in.

Not so much a matter of calling my own number as it is that Monday is my regular night and I wasn't goingt to make somebody else do it. The guy who's usually here with me on Mondays, I told him to have a nice day.

We don't publish Monday, so most of Tuesday's paper is going to be weekend agate anyway, I guess.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day. Don't care, as the money makes it all worthwhile.

7. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i'm in as well, although my being jewish make its easier as does the reduced work load. since we have to publish christmas day at noon, tuesday will have a shitload of NFL in it.

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

We're going tomorrow night at 7, so that means I'll be at my parents' house by 8. Back in the office the next night at 6.

9. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Christmas Eve. Christmas Day. But that's it, since I did Thanksgiving also.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Oh, I forgot – it gives me an excuse to leave the in-laws about 1 p.m. Monday, which is usually when I'm about to reach my breaking point.

11. Keystone

Keystone Member

Easiest shift of the year. Since I don't start until 5, I get to spend the day with my family and get paid time-and-a-half.
    We'll only have three people total in the department that night when we usually have seven or eight.

12. WS

WS Member

working the Eve, which is a press run of 6 p.m., but will then drive 4 and a half hours to the wife's family. Last year I worked Christmas and all her grandmother did on Thanksgiving was bitch about how we weren't going to be there for Christmas

Draft saved Draft deleted