1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who do you vote for?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 28, 2007.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Why do people keep falling back to this completely nonsensical line?

Gore was 538 pretty fucking questionable Florida votes from winning the election (and more than overcoming his losing Tennessee), so it seems pretty damn obvious that you CAN lose your home state and still win the election. It just didn't happen in 2000.

Hell, it's more likely a candidate will lose his home state and win the election than it is a candidate will lose the popular vote and win the election. And we know the latter happened in 2000.

Mitt Romney has ZERO chance of winning Masachusetts. Should he just give up? Edwards likely would lose North Carolina. Should he just give up?

And what defines a "home state" anyway? Gore wasn't running as a senator from Tennessee. He was running as the sitting Vice President of the United States who happened to spend a few years as a Tennessee senator a LOOOONG time before the 2000 election. What is Hillary's home state, Arkansas or New York?

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Slappy,
    You can't just wish something true. Believe me, I've tried.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'll vote for whoever the libertarian candidate is as I always do.

And I will urge my conservative friends to do the same and urge my liberal friends to vote for the Green Party.....then drink away my sorrows that night when the realization sets in that we've been sentenced to another four years of this horseshit, regardless of who wins.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sounds good on paper, except for one thing:

When was the last time someone named Clinton lost an election?

Tick-tick-tick-tick . . .

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Bobby Clinton lost the first grade milk monitor position last fall at Jones Elementary School.
    You ask, we answer.

6. I'm a winner, too, beeyotches!

[​IMG]

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm just waiting for the dirt to come out on Thompson. He's a Hollywood type, there's got to be something dark and dirty in his past...

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That wasn't a knock at Bill Clinton, I was just pointing out that Giuliani would hardly be the first candidate with a questionable personal life to be elected...

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I've voted for a third-party candidate in every presidential race since I became eligible. Right now, Richardson is the only major-party candidate for whom I'd consider changing that stance.

[obligatory Simpsons response goes here]

10. He's moving a little in NH this week.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

In the early 1980s when Bill ran for attorney general of Arkansas...

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Giuliani vs. Hillary -- Giuliani
    Thompson vs. Hillary -- Third party
    McCain vs. Hillary -- McCain
    Romney vs. Hillary -- Third party

Giuliani vs. Edwards -- Edwards
    Thompson vs. Edwards -- Edwards
    McCain vs. Edwards -- McCain
    Romney vs. Edwards -- Edwards

Giuliani vs. Obama -- Obama
    Thompson vs. Obama -- Obama