1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who covers the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mark2010, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it's even worse if you're on news side. At least in sports, there are 40-50 markets, even more when you include BCS-level college sports, where you can cover events of national interest on a day-in, day-out basis. In news, really, there are two. Maybe three if you cover business in Silicon Valley.

I would love to some day try to make my way back into the business on the news side. But I'm rooted in Chicago - the third-largest city in America - and, well, that's too small time.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, if there's anything worse than covering high school swimming, it's probably a small-town school board meeting.

Many of us made significant financial and lifestyle sacrifices to pursue a career in journalism because we thought it would take us places we wanted to go. I understand paying your dues when you're 23 and fresh out of school. Did that. Probably for far too long. At some point, you just have to make a decision as to whether or not its worth it, financially and otherwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted