1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who believes Jimmie Johnson?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 10, 2006.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I guess I just don't get it. Is there any difference between "sharp turn" and "hitting a berm"? I'd think once you were airbone, there'd be some sharp turn involved, so I wouldn't even consider that a lie.

Beyond that, we're talking the the difference of one letter - "in" to "on." BFD. If he had a sharper PR person, they would have fessed up to writing the statement wrong, his misreading a word, etc.

Sure, it's not really bright to go joyriding on top of a golf cart, but he had a little accident at a party. Big deal.

He might be the biggest jerk and moron who walked the face of the earth, but I wouldn't put this anywhere near the category of a scandal.

Similar scenario: My brother shows up on crutches Monday. He tells me he got hurt at his softball tournament. Later, his wife fills in the story: His team went 2-and-Q, and while they were socializing in the parking lot, my athletic shortstop of a brother tripped over his lawn chair on his way to the cooler for a beer. Yeah, he got hurt *at* the tournament all right.

2. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

I don't think there is a scandal, per se.
    Don't even think it was an outright lie ... regardless of how many sponsors he has, who wants to 'fess up to falling off a golf cart, except to your immediate drinking buddies?
    However, it is a story.
    Champion breaks wrist horsing around.
    End of story.
    If it starts to effect his season come Daytona, it becomes a story again.

To say this incident isn't worth a 20-ish inch new story is just as silly as insisting on a three-part series into the Great Lowe's Cover-up.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Our paper ran two 6-inch shorts on the bottom of the sports front. The first when the injury came out, the second when the other detail came out.

That's it.

Draft saved Draft deleted