1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who are the worst college football hires of the last 30 years?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 20, 2010.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Definitely Rich Rodriguez at Michigan. And who has been his d-coordinator the last two years? Greg Robinson.

DickRod recently said that Vince Lombardi couldn't turn this defense around. Let's see there, coach, you've been there three years, meaning that three-quarters to three-fifths of the team (at least) are your recruits. Methinks that if you're such a great coach, having well over half of the players as your recruits would be a good thing. NOT.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

A quick Wikipedia search shows that South Carolina has a long history of hiring former title-winning coaches on the rebound, then watching field the same mediocre team a no-name would.

3. WolvEagle

Oh, and while I'm at it, DickRod posted U-M's first back-to-back losing seasons since 1966-67 and broke a bowl streak that was No. 1 in the nation. It started in the 1975 season and would have gone back to 1968 had the Big Ten not had a rule that said only its champion would go bowling (the rule was thrown out after the '74 season).

4. Crash

Crash Active Member

I think South Carolina is a whole lot closer to Tier 4 than it is to Tier 2. But that's just me. In fact, South Carolina is pretty comparable to Kentucky in the whole football history deal.

5. Crash

Crash Active Member

And Rich Brooks at Kentucky worked excellently, though Brooks' tenure at Oregon was probably before the Ducks were a true "big-time" program. Still, he was brought out of the coaching graveyard and took that program from one that couldn't beat bad Ohio teams to one that has three wins over top-10 teams since 2007 (which is three more than it had in the 35 years before that).

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

To be truly bad you have to factor in who didn't get the job.

Keith Gilbertson over Steve Marriucci when Snyder left Cal.

Giving Tom Holmoe the job when Marriucci left for the 49ers.

7. WolvEagle

I covered his Akron first road game, at Eastern Michigan. He actually brought an Akron cop with him for protection. Seriously.

Maybe it was because EMU's AD at the time was an assistant coach under Ara at Notre Dame and the assistant AD (Gene Smith, now AD at Ohio State) played for the Irish.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

9. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Glad you didn't, Steak. I read this thread in reverse and went, 'Where's OhmyGod' at Ole Miss?

Yo yo yo Brent Shay-fah!

10. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Dana Dimel. Houston.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

12. derwood

derwood Active Member

Ray Perkins at Alabama.

Draft saved Draft deleted