1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who are the most famous man and woman in the world?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 15, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

How is Jordan's name not on the discussion list?

2. How is JDV not on the discussion list?

I vote for Osama Bin Laden and Jenna Jameson.

Hmmm, any suggestions for the title of that movie?

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

"Like a Hot Dog Down a Cave."

And I hate to say it, but I think Pamela Anderson is probably the most famous woman alive. You have to consider the combined populations of China and India (a third of the world) -- and in researching another story, I discovered (sadly) that Pamela Anderson is the most famous person in those two countries. Add in her fame in North America and Europe, and I think you have your chick.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I brought this question up in my office and someone said Jenna Jameson. I thought and still do think that she'd be about 1,000th on the list.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the athletes who can realistically be in the conversation are...

Yao Ming
    David Beckham
    Muhammad Ali
    Michael Jordan
    Tiger Woods

There may be another soccer player who I'm forgetting...

6. Mizzougrad96

Jenna might be higher than 1,000, but I can't imagine her being in the top 100 among women...

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Ronaldinho and even Ronaldo I feel would have to be in the discussion.

8. Mizzougrad96

If we listed the 100 most famous athletes, probably 50 of them would have to be soccer players...

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

If we are going by sheer number of people knowing who the person is, I would venture to say Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods because of Nike marketing. You could say Yao Ming because China is home to a rather abundant source of people in the world.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What is funny is that I put a picture of Ronaldinho up a few posts ago, but I did not mention his name.

Could it be that the most recognizable man in the world is not even recognizable in America?

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

What about Michael Schumacher? Wasn't he the most recognizable athlete in the world before he retired?

Just because somebody's famous or the object of intense scrutiny in the states (Lohan, Hilton, et al), doesn't mean it translates worldwide.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

In America yes. Overseas, they're famous for being what people despise about the U.S.

Draft saved Draft deleted