1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitner Hit on Thomas- Should It Be Outlawed?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Should the type of hit that Whitner made on Thomas be outlawed by the NFL?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Pivotal play on goal line in 49ers / Saints game was Whitner tackle on Thomas that caused fumble and knocked Thomas out of game.

Legality has been much debated over past few days and it seems clear within current NFL rules that hit was legal.

Question is should the NFL amend the rules?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The game will be absolutely ruined if there is a penalty every time two helmets touch. You can fault Thomas as much as Whitner for that play, he is the one who buried his helmet down to Whitner's head level. But that's what a running back is taught to do, get low.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Did you see one of the hits late in the Packers-Giants game on Rodgers that was called helmet-to-helmet? It was a terrific hit in which the helmets barely touched at the end of the hit, hardly at full speed. They need to be more consistent with the ruling. That's all I ask.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't remember the one you're talking about. Was Rodgers in the pocket or was he running downfield?

Quarterbacks are a different beast when it comes to NFL rules. They're the NFL's money-makers. I don't particularly like it but I understand it.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You can't outlaw hitting the helmet of a runner for the simple fact of there may be no other place to hit him. If he's running straight ahead and gets his pads low, where else can you hit him?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Whitner's hit on Thomas was just good defense and was a great play.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

+1

I think that was the moment where the Saints thought, "Uh oh, we've got a game on our hands."

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm a Niners fan and am admittedly biased, but that's the way football should be played.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You cannot legislate against these types of hits because there's a huge assumption there, that the defender/hitter knows where the runner's helmet will be, well a runner/receiver's body parts (incl. helmet) are moving all over the place at high speeds, how does the defender/hitter know where to avoid?

I understand outlawing hits against defenseless people like the QB and receiver, but not this.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Tom Jackson's analysis is incorrect. The referee thought it was helmet-to-helmet contact, not a late hit.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreeed on all counts. But it also helps demonstrate the NFL's approach to the issue. It doesn't look like there's a consistent approach, just micromanaging after the fact. See also: OT rules, new.

12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

It is physically IMPOSSIBLE for a defender to pull up when he is a foot away and the offensive makes a sudden movement and two heads collide. It is like that Umenyiora hit on Rodgers that was flagged as Roughing the Passer -- it was a bullshit call all around and the second phantom call that went Green Bay's favor on Sunday.

Draft saved Draft deleted