1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock's Twitter Outing Fail of me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

(Sorry for the double posting on multiple boards. Just want to make sure it was seen.)

So, I'm not sure exactly what I did to upset Jason Whitlock -- although I suppose the fact that he was played by Sweetums in my one act Deadspin/Muppet play didn't thrill him -- but he's been trying to out me on Twitter today, and out of respect to Les Carpenter, the person Whitlock outed me as, I thought it was appropriate that I come forward and correct the mistake.

Sadly for Jason, I'm not Les.

Moddy can attest to this, as can numerous people here. IJAG. Headbutt. Big Ragu. BYH. Several others.

I only correct this lame attempt to zing me because I think it would be unfair for Les to have own anything I've written here, or that anyone think Les was pimping himself when I was writing about the Washington Post sports section.

I pimped the Post sports section because I enjoy it very much, and admire many of the people who write there. However, I do not work there and have the pay stubs to prove it. Of all the Washington Post sports writers I have a man crush on, Mr. Carpenter would be fifth or sixth in that illustrious list. If I was going to pretend to be someone else, it would be someone with boyband looks like Saslow.

I don't guard my anonymity too closely here, and it's probably a foolish decision, because I write a lot about myself and the business, usually without much of a filter. It's part of the reason I took a six-month break recently. If you're desperate to figure out who I am, it's not that hard. Mostly, all you have to do is ask.

Anyway, sorry to have to clear that up.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

(my repeat from other board):

I will say this:

*DD is not Les Carpenter.
    *Outing is way uncool, no matter where you do it. Even when you get it wrong. We can't control what others do elsewhere but nothing screams "douche" like outing.
    *Oh, yeah, DD is not Les Carpenter.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

* DD is not Les Carpenter.

Also, I had not seen the Muppets montage. Well done, sir.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Just another brick in the wall built by petty journos whose inflated egos are matched only by their immense insecurities.

5. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

above quote goes to the reason I left the business.
    No regrets.
    Talked to an old friend who was a much-decorated APSE winner year after year. He kept his job, but is doing slide shows. Slide shows!!!! This guy is, like, 50. SLIDE SHOWS? He has to promote himself shamelessly. It's disgusting. He has to try to write funny things about games. But he has to tell everyone he knows to "page-view" these slide shows. It sounds so humiliating!

6. spud

spud Member

There are a whole lot of things going on in this post, and I don't understand most of them.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I hate Twitter, and I'm not crazy about Whitlock.

8. Moderator1

Too bad, Smash, because that's pretty much a perfect Twitter post. Just about the right size. You'd be a natural.

9. Brian Cook

Brian Cook Member

Ironic thread given the general opinion of internet anonymity around these parts.

10. Moderator1

Explain the irony - not a challenge, mind you. Just a question. I'm missing it (not uncommon).

DD is still not Les Carpenter

11. apseloser

apseloser Member

I couldn't sleep last night, not knowing the identity of DD. It's all anyone out there is talking about. That, of course, and the world-renowned Les Carpenter's writing

Get over yourself, dude. To think anyone cares about your identity shows what a tool you are

Go break some news.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

....as opposed to apsewinner....

Draft saved Draft deleted