1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock undresses ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, Nov 26, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Whitlock should have criticized the crawl of stupid viewer texts across the top of the screen. I almost put a piece of tape up there. Then I wanted to mute it so as to not listen to that horrid broadcasting team.

(Of course if my wife had walked into the room with my TV taped up and on mute, she would have thought I'd completely lost it.)

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I figured that would get a few chuckles (or eye-rolls). Like I said, that's the Jason I remember.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Hyperbole much?

4. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

This is another case of the messenger devaluing the message. I like several of Jason's points, but his credibility with me takes a hit when he starts getting a little personal with Fowler (the "hasn't worn a jock since junior high" bit). Fowler dropping Ball State out of the Top 25 after a win was asinine, but Jason forgot to check the volume a little bit with this attack.

Is ESPN turning sports journalism -- and to an extent, sports itself -- into a shell of its former self? Probably.

Is it wrong for a network like ESPN to have a financial interest in the content it covers? Absolutely.

Was there a way for Jason to convey his outrage & disdain without coming off as a loon? Probably. But then again, I guess columnists are meant to stir the pot a little more than what most people like.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Does he mention anywhere in that column that he was fired from ESPN?

He didn't deserve to be and I respect the hell out of Whitlock for saying what he did about ESPN to TBL, but it should have been mentioned in the interest of full disclosure.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

He mentioned it in the middle of the column, giving a brief background about what happened and telling the reader(s) that they can go to google for the full story.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Christ, I must have tryptophan on the brain already... :D

8. playthrough

Well said. Could have ended after the Heisman rant, but went on to whack the BSU president and Fowler. Should have picked one.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Who knew that "world wide" was two words? (I guess the large number of people on this board who insist on referring to ESPN as WWL instead of WL.)

10. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

In the death of our industry, a message such as this probably serves some sort of constructive purpose. I will cancel my cable before I watch ESPN/FSN/whatever. With so many newspapers failing and TV floundering as always, there is precious little worth anyone's time. I hope we all get back to reading classic literature, get a real job and forget how many years of our lives we've wasted with such dross. Good for Whitlock for trying to stand up and be heard, but we all know that won't save anyone worth saving.

11. playthrough

Classic literature...um, you mean old SI's?

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

No worries.

In referring to Ball State, Le Grande Whit used we (and it's incarnations) five times), my three times and our once. I understand he's a grad, but am I the only one who thinks using those words makes the column come off more than a bit fanboish?

Draft saved Draft deleted