1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock Revises And Extends His Remarks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fenian_Bastard, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Jared and JRoyal both make points, except Jared goes for the cheap shot on public "education" but let that pass.
    JW, if you're still here, please elaborate on what you mean with this "integrity" thing. I'm confused.

2. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

I'm still going to read the column, but for the most part, all of Jared's references can be summed up thusly:

Agent with dollar signs in his eyes sees an opportunity for doing something that can ONLY gather good publicity for his client. And pushes them toward it. Although I think Dike's actions were genuine.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So are you posting on here without having read Whitlock's column?

Wait till the Cliff's Notes version comes out.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Is it just me or is anyone else surprised that Whitlock only has 66 posts on here?

Damn, it seems like he's spouting off on every thread with every other post. I thought he'd have at least 1,000.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Going through all of professional sports, aren't those guys the exceptions to the rule?

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't agree with jaredk's general assessment of Whitlock's work but he makes a very strong point here about the generalities of Whitlock's argument. Just like in the business world, the higher the stakes, the more competitive the battle for those dollars becomes. Often, just like in the business world, the most ruthless fighters win. So it comes as no surprise that ometimes ruthless people will cross over the line and cheat in search of a competitive edge. Agreed. But often and sometimes aren't inclusive terms. There are heros in every walk of life, even among athletes and entertainers. I just don't think you can demand that certain people, because they get bigger paychecks, must behave like heros -- they either are, they aren't or they haven't yet faced a test.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

bullshit.

and yet you feel the need to come in here and try to hang with us, spouting your fanboard bullshit

8. hoops, why is the "toy department" sentiment so offensive? i don't get it.

and, hoops, mgoblue has worked in sports departments for at least 15 years. he's a journalist. not a fanboy.

9. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

people who say that always use it as a put-down... like what we do isn't difficult or take work -- shit, most places i've been, sports guys do twice the work of the newsside folk

and if you don't want to look like a fanboy, don't call yourself mgoblue

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

For some silly reason, he reset his post totals... maybe he figured that he's be a lock for newcomer of the year that he didn't get in 2005...

11. healingman

healingman Guest

In an earlier post on this topic, someone was talking about athletes not coming out against the war in Iraq like some did against Vietnam.

The one name that comes to my mind as far as athletics and taking a stand is Muhammad Ali. I know, there are more that could be named ... Rafer Johnson, Jim Brown, etc. Yet Ali just stands out because the man said "No, I'm not going to Vietnam" and meant it.

Here's an idea for the ESPN crew: Do a series of vignettes on athletes that took stances for social and political issues in the history of sports. (I don't know where the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network reference popped out of my head ... better shove that bad boy back in. :eek: )

Anyway ... that's my .02 about the subject. One that is interesting, deep and profound in this day and age where Israel and Hezbollah are bombing each other to Hell, Iraq is in a civil war (well, on the brink of it from Rummy and Co.) ... and lest I forget the hullaballoo-kaneck-kaneck about Mel Gibson.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Once again, we have two Whitlock threads going. Just thought I'd pass that along.

Draft saved Draft deleted