1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock- Oden Better Prospect than Durant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Mar 13, 2007.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

If you want a comparison, Patrick Ewing's numbers as a senior at Georgetown were pretty similar to what Oden has put up this year ... as a freshman ... while being injured for part of the year ... on a team that's really a perimitier team that just happens to have him on it. Both should be good, but I'd call this LeBron vs. Melo. Personally, I love watching Durant, but, unless I felt my need at forward was much more glaring than my need at center, I'd take Oden.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The column's an accurate analysis of Durant's game, but, man, how much more can you ask of the kid? The points, the boards, 2 bpg, 2 spg, never fouls out, plays 36 minutes a game. And he's 19.

As far as Oden...how can we possibly know the extent of his skills until his hand is healed? But don't put too much stock into Ewing's senior numbers. Georgetown only averaged 65 points or so in the 1985 tourney.

3. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Uhh, NO this certainly would not be anything close to Bowie/Jordan: 1) Oden is NO Sam Bowie. His Freshman numbers are ALREADY far better than Bowie's Senior numbers--and that's a freshman year where Oden joined the team late after surgery and hasn't had full use of his shooting hand all season. Oden's also bigger, stronger, quicker, more athletic, 4 years younger (despite appearances), didn't miss two full college seasons due to injury and didn't suffer something like 3 broken legs in the preceding 5 years--as had Bowie when he was drafted (lord was that Bowie pick stupid in retrospect); 2) Durant is NO Michael Jordan. As discussed, he could be Glenn Robinson good at the low end, Nowitzki/Garnett good at the high end, or Bird good at the uppermost end. But he ain't gonna be Jordan good.

4. Exactly. At its worst it will be Olajuwon over Nowitzki/Bird.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

And to equate Durantto Glenn Robinons is major disservice to Dunant.

Robinson not only was "Big Dog" he was a fucking DOG from Day 1.
    He never attempted to play defense, he never cared about anything but scoring. Once the ball was in his hands, no one else on the floor was going to touch it.
    Durant is not even close to that selfish, overrated piece of garbage.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No need to be smug. It's just my opinion. Time will tell. I am just thankful that new NBA rule has even allowed us to have this debate.

As far as "Bird good" or "Jordan good" it's really one in the same. You could also add "Johnson good" to that mix.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Boy, I wish I had been able to see your posts before Robinson was drafted.

8. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Is Durant being compared to Tracy McGrady at all? That's who he reminds me of.

9. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Damn straight, Simon, the same people with the over-the-top ravings about Durant in 07 were just as over-the-top when Robinson was racking up 30 ppg and looking utterly unstoppable in 94, they're also the same ones who now claim he was nothing but a worthless dog--how soon they forget. I remember the Big Dog mania from 94 well-"we've never seen a player like this before" "He's Larry Bird with quickness/athletic ability" bla bla bla. It was much the same hysterical notes you hear now about Durant.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, it isn't. Because the Blazers passed on Jordan, citing that they already had a shooting guard, some guy named Clyde Drexler. Knowing they can't have two shooting guards start at once, they drafted for need with Sam Bowie.

I'm guessing not many of the lottery teams would have a franchise power forward, so they won't have to draft for need as the Blazers did. They would simply pick whoever they felt was best.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Our man seems to have it all figured out here ... and yet, I'll stick by what I said, regardless of how many times he saw Oden play in diapers.

12. Mmac

Mmac Guest

That's cool, you're freely entitled to cling to any personal opinion you want--even ones that are devoid of supporting facts and expose embarrassing ignorance.

Draft saved Draft deleted