1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock lands at Foxsports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Aug 16, 2007.

1. TO claim that Whitlock is the "ballsiest" columnist out there is flawed. There are several columnists who "keep it real," but Whitlock has:

A) A significant national audience. A hard-hitting columnist in Idaho Falls wouldn't get near the fire this guy gets.
    B) A trump-card on the race issue. If any white columnist were to write half the stuff he writes, they'd be labeled racist before the final tap of the period on the keyboard.
    C) A level of cache that allows him to make blatantly outlandish statements, and then hide behind "I'm keeping it real."

2. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Snuka, I don't believe Whitlock has ever used the "keeping it real" phrase. Indeed isn't that the sort of cliched urban lingo he's criticized guys like Scoop for using as a writing gimmick?

3. Three pages into this, and no sign of sportsbruh?

4. Wasn't his AOL column called "Real Talk?"

MMac, if I misunderstood him or if I'm just mistaken on the phrasing, I apologize. My intent was not to put words in his mouth, or on the computer, or whatever it is.

5. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Yeah, the title of the column is Real Talk, but there's a significant difference between that and using the "keeping it real" type phrases, which is the sort of stereotyped snoopese JW has actually made a point of avoiding.

6. Touche...your point has been made...apologies

7. Mmac

Mmac Guest

No problem and certainly no need to apologize. That just struck me wrong when I read it and thought I'd point it out.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Good God, I hope no one was hurt! :eek:

Seeing the word "agenda-less" in his column made me do a spit-take, too. ahemmmbullshitcoughcough

9. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

To be honest, I think Jason comes across better on TV than print.

I also thought this column was pretty predictable; if you told me there'd be big, splashy new Whitlock column today, I would guess it'd be exactly this.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

seems as though whitlock's bosses tire of him quickly.

11. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

He's a one trick pony.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and fast becoming a non-factor.

Draft saved Draft deleted