1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock: JT III Is A Good, Rising Coach (edited to reflect theme)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Re: Whitlock: John Thompson III Is A Good, Rising Coach (edited to reflect theme)

Except Knight is a much better coach than Thompson.

2. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Re: Whitlock: John Thompson III Is A Good, Rising Coach (edited to reflect theme)

That "whip" had actually been given to Knight by his senior players shortly before that press conference essentially as a gag gift. It was dumb judgment to display it like he did, but there plainly was no racial intent, that one was an absurd bum rap.

3. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Agreed, I liked Georgetown and got into the whole Hoya paranoia thing in the 80s, but still the defiant blackness of the Hoya program seemed so oddly placed at an elite private school with a preppish student body like Georgetown's. Look at analogous schools in similar semi-urban settings like Northwestern and their rosters have NEVER had a composition resembling those Hoyas. Does seem like the only way Thompson could've maintained that all-black roster for so many years (not even a 12th man/walk-on type scrub?) at a school like Georgetown is if he was seriously determined to keep it that way.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Rayful Edmond III.

That's the first think I think of when I think of John Thompson.

A verrrrrry bad dude. Drug kingpin, it's said he befriended young Alonzo Mourning in D.C. and people around the program were alarmed.

I have read a couplee of versions of the story, but Thompson either gained an audience with Edmond or, in the later retelling, summoned Edmond to his Georgetown office. Told the drug kingpin to leave his players alone.

And Edmond did.

Now, Edmond is doing life.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Re: Whitlock: John Thompson III Is A Good, Rising Coach (edited to reflect theme

In some accounts (I believe one of the stories linked above), Thompson told Edmond to leave his players alone, or face possible "mortal consequences." :eek:

Hey, whatever gets the job done. ;)

6. Deeper_Background

Perhaps, but it was astoundingly bad judgement.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Only on SJ does the son of God drop in and the debate rages on as if he was never here.

Hey Jesus, fetch us a beer.

8. Deeper_Background

It looks like his son is following in his fathers footsteps.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

How? By being a good a coach.
    The son is a child of wealth and privilege. And dad was never a poor man. His family sent him to private schools his life.

10. Deeper_Background

Even though he went to Princeton there are still very few white players on the bench. You're telling me there is not one high profile white kid they can recruit that would love to play at Georgetown now?

11. NoCleverName

NoCleverName New Member

"Even though he went to Princeton there are still very few white players on the bench. You're telling me there is not one high profile white kid they can recruit that would love to play at Georgetown now?"

If you are going to put that out there shouldn't you look at his recruiting classes when he coached at Princeton? The guy has been at Georgetown for two recruiting classes and you think its appropriate to ask that question? How many white kids have been in the recruiting classes of other Big East schools in the same time period?

12. m2spts

m2spts Member

Another thing that makes JT III a good coach is the fact he listens.
    He listened to JT II and to Pete Carrill, and you can't get much better than that.
    I've never been much of a Georgetown fan (actually, not a fan of anyone), but you can't discount what JT III has done.
    He took a Princeton team that Billl Carmody had unglued and put it back together.
    And now he's done the same thing at Georgetown.
    Hiope he stays.

Draft saved Draft deleted