1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock: JT III Is A Good, Rising Coach (edited to reflect theme)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Re: Whitlock: John Thompson III Is A Good, Rising Coach (edited to reflect theme)

That's why no one is asking JT3 to be the next UK coach. (the Princeton offense) Not a race issue like Terry Fenlon seems to want to imply is the case

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Re: Whitlock: John Thompson III Is A Good, Rising Coach (edited to reflect theme)

How about because JT3 just got to Georgetown, has a stellar recruiting class coming in, and is owning his hometown and the school that his father put on the map? I know he's more Princeton than Georgetown, but he has no connection at all to Kentucky, or the type of style (not coaching style, just pure style) that Kentucky wants. He'll be just fine at Georgetown and would whoop their blue candy asses up and down Rupp Arena any fucking day of the week.

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Exactly.
    Paging Herb Sendek. Sendek to the white courtesy phone.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

He only coached in the ACC. You can do better than that.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

That's my point ... Herb won't go to the "most elite levels" with his Princeton offense.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I wonder what their combined chosterol count was. Interseting statement by Majerus that labeled John Thompson a racist.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Tubby and others scoffed at the notion of Pearl's offense working in the SEC. Any well-executed scheme can win at the highest levels with great athletes. Are you saying it would be hard to recruit kids to that offense, because of negative recruiting by rivals?

8. Re: Whitlock: John Thompson III Is A Good, Rising Coach (edited to reflect theme)

Boom, this made me laugh out loud.... Good stuff.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

And UK won't hire another black coach...

10. Mmac

Mmac Guest

I find it difficult to believe that Rick Majerus actually made that statement. Not only does Majerus seem a helluva lot smarter than to make such racially inflammatory comments, but if it was any sort of public setting whatsoever (including a classroom), I'd certainly think such an inflammatory statement would've been mentioned somewhere sometime before Whitlock's article 20 years later.

11. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

I'm betting this was in 1988 after Thompson blew the gold medal game against the Russians by not playing Danny Manning in the 2nd half.

12. Re: Whitlock: John Thompson III Is A Good, Rising Coach (edited to reflect theme)

yeah, i just made it up. that's me. i write fiction.

ron lemasters, the longtime sports editor of the muncie star, was the professor. ask him about it. we talk about it every time we see each other...

Draft saved Draft deleted