1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock: "Jim Brown is the Most Important Athlete in American History"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 29, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Especially from his women.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That could have been so much better without the stripper talk.

It does take onions to type this, though. I gotta give him credit for that, and I agree with him on that point.

"Maybe then there would be fewer hey-look-at-me bojanglers..."

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There you go.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm slightly younger than you, and since my country didn't really get into american football until the early 80s, I have nothing to go on with Harris as well.

Payton was one of my favorite players growing up.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

The key word there is "young." I didn't see Babe Ruth play but I know that he was a great player. I did see Hank Aaron and Willie Mays and they were arguably the best. The point I'm making is that everyone has a reference point and for younger people, it begins with who they saw as a player.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would argue that Satchel Paige is more important than Jackie Robinson. Paige was immensely popular in the Negro Leagues and paved the way for Robinson -- who probably wasn't one of the 20 best black players at the time he went into the big leagues.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So you never saw Walter Payton play I take it?

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

He didn't go to Syracuse on a football scholarship. This is the reason why, IMHO, he is #1.

http://www.lacrosse.org/museum/halloffame/view_profile.php?prof_id=35

I think they changed the rules of lacrosse for Brown because when he cradled against his chest, the ball could not be taken away.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

First name I thought of when I saw the title of this thread was Jesse Owens...

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For whatever reason, I don't think Brown is looked at the same way as Babe Ruth or even Hank Aaron and he really should be.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's because football records don't carry the same importance with sports fans that baseball records do.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

I've covered a couple of Walter Payton games. He was good. Jim Brown was better. No argument in my opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted