1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock hits it out of the park

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Twoback, Jul 20, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

You must be overlooking Mr. Mitchell.

Melissa Isaacson used to have a column, which was sometimes OK and sometimes inane.

I wish they'd lose Sam Smith and Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, but I don't see that happening.

2. Boardom

Boardom New Member

In fairness to Scoop, does anybody really think he actually believes his NBA analogy?
    After reading his column, finally, I was under the impression that the dude was just trying to send a strong example to the kids about how bad the numbers actually are in sports journalism. Seems like that was the best anecdote he could use at the time.
    Whether it was a good idea or not is certainly up for debate. But I, for one, definitely do not think he is out to tell black kids that they have a better chance to become an NBA player than a sportswriter.

Great column by Jason, though. Wonder what kind of relationship Jason and Scoop had before the column. Wonder how they interact, if at all, now.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Don't know about you, but I would never write a piece and use an analogy that I knew was wrong as the leaping point.

Credibility is shot.

4. i guess you think we're all idiots.... he meant it. it was irresponsible. and there is a clear pattern of irresponsible statements and "columns" in his archive. beyond the utter stupidity of his analogy, there is no reason to believe that scoop thought he was exaggerating, particularly if you have any familiarity with his previous work. rather than run around making excuses for scoop, his friends should tell him to quit writing dumb (stuff) and/or return to slam or some other poorly done hip hop magazine. i went easy and took the high road THIS TIME. but irresponsible writing about racial matters, which appears to be scoop's specialty, makes me very mean spirited. to me, this sort of writing is far worse than a slip of the tongue during a radio or tv interview. i bet al campanis would've loved for everyone to say, "he didn't really mean it. he was just trying to make a point." no one would've bought that excuse. so please don't try to sell this b.s. now.

Draft saved Draft deleted