1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock done all around ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by loveyabye, Sep 25, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Remember the name of Hamilton Camp's character in that episode: Maj. Frankenheimer? Nice touch.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

After 16 hours of work today I needed a laugh, and this was it.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You're quite welcome.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Big Sexy, the overall consensus that we'll agree to disagree on certain issues of the day, and we'll applaud when something is said that we wished we could have said in the first place.

I have always respected your work for the Star, ever since I first listened to "The Neighborhood" on WHB. You were engaging on radio, but it was the written word that had me become an avid reader.

You may have already heard this or had this in mind when ESPN decided to formally cut ties: each opportunity is a blessing in disguise. Only the person who has the opportunity, is the one who will make the most of it or lower his/her expectations.

You said it best: you are who you are. There is not that many brothers I can appreciate and respect who isn't afraid to call it across the board, regardless of race, pros/cons, and other topics.

Stick to your guns. Congratulations on the AOL move. I know you will have fun.

Not to bring back some memories, but I still remember the Jesse Jackson/illegitimate child parody, "Sorry Mrs. Jackson." I chuckle like a kid every time I hear Outkast on the radio and think of that parody song. :D

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I would not be surprised if the ESPN honks were overhearing George's call to you.

I thought that once Sharpiro (Iowa grad persona non-grata) bolted, some of the childish stuff would die down. Apparently not. They all belong in Barnum and Bailey's Circus in the clown pool.

6. ogre

ogre Member

JW gets respect for this.

ESPN gets the dilsnick.

I should get a cookie for reading this whole thread. Mmmmm.....cookie.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You'll get nothing and like it. Same for Gable.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Late to this party ... good on you, Jason. Earl Conn would be proud.

9. e4

e4 Member

well done

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

damn doc, i can't help but feeling like i let you down. <hat in hand>

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

From Bill Simmons' chat today:

Jason: (Boca Raton, FL): What do you make of the talk that Tom Brady's body language during games demonstrates how unhappy he is with the organization for letting key players go and that it is rubbing off on his teammates?

Bill Simmons: (12:14 PM ET ) here's my question: is he supposed to have good body language? The guy took less money to stay and his starting WR's last Sunday were Reche Caldwell and Troy Brown. Putting myself in his shoes, I would be flipping out right now. I think he's handled everything pretty well actually. Let's hope he doesn't snap and give an interview about his co-workers to the Big Lead.

Brent (South Dakota): As a media person, what are your feelings on Jason Whitlock's departure? Did he destroy himself, or should a media person be allowed to criticiize his work associates without fear of retribution?

Bill Simmons: (12:41 PM ET ) I like Jason a lot, I've enjoyed exchanging emails with him and I liked having his column on Page 2, so I'm disappointed in what happened. But I don't see what he had to gain by venting to a blog. What's the benefit? So you win the respect of the 3,000 people who spend 8 hours a day posting on sports journalism message boards and blogs because you were "shooting from the hip"? Congratulations. What is this, wrestling? I just feel like there was a better way to handle it. I will really miss having him on the website, I always enjoyed his perspectives on things. And I still plan on reading him at AOL. But I'm disappointed with how everything went down.

12. Simmons' response is interesting and telling.... The guy made his name shredding members of the media and pandering to win the respect of 3,000 bloggers who spend 8 hours a day....

This ain't shtick, it's just the way I am: I'd much rather have the respect of 3,000 kooks (readers) than a handful of ESPN executives who think providing Scoop and Lupica a platform is important. I guess I just got a peek at the real Bill Simmons. No wonder he's still mad at the Boston Globe. Being a rebel was all an act. Wow. Enlightening.

Draft saved Draft deleted