1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock done all around ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by loveyabye, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The comments section under the blog is downright hilarious. Especially the person that can't figure out the usage of the word "it's".

2. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

Major kudos to Whitlock on this one. Most people would not have had the balls to make the comments he made in that blog interview and to write this article. I have newfound respect for Mr. Whitlock.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

very strong, jason, very strong

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

<<I told the blog that Lupica and Joe Valerio, the producer of "The Sports Reporters," had become disenchanted with me because I would not join in the crusade to portray Barry Bonds as the baseball anti-Christ. I'm not a Bonds fan and don't think all that much of his recent accomplishments. But a life spent competing in sports and writing about sports has made me uninterested in pretending that Bonds is the real villain in the steroids mess. And I have zero tolerance for when people try to censor my ability to state fair opinions.>>

This passage is something that really puzzles me. I mean, if you're running a panelists-type show with much discussion abou the hot topics of the day, wouldn't you welcome a dissenting opinion from one of the panelists, which would ensure heated, maybe even volatile, debate. It sounds to me like the producers just wanted Whitlock to fall in lockstep with their opinion, and I don't think that would make for better TV.

Oh, and I echo the thought: Great column.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ditto. A great read.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Whitlock and I have had a spat or two on here, but THAT is how it's done.

Great work.

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

Gotta say, this makes ESPN look very bad.

Also, if you are a reporter and The Big Lead asks you for an interview, just know that you have a twenty-five percent chance of being fired, based on current statistics.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Impressive. But I can't quit you, Whitlock! I'll follow you to AOL.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

What's the over/under on the time Tom Petty will come in here, bash Whitlock and work a fat joke into the post?

I say 11:30 p.m. EST.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Once again, Loopy goes after someone on SportsJournalists.com!!!

12. appreciate the kind words... but i am what i am.

Draft saved Draft deleted