1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock done all around ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by loveyabye, Sep 25, 2006.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I've never read Hurston, but I have read W.E.B. Du Bois and I'd be more inclined to listen to his opinion than the opinion of the woman who foisted James Frey on the country.

(And that's an indictment of Oprah, not Hurston, so don't get started on me not having read her)

I am, however, glad to know that when I read Whitlock I can be safe in the knowledge that HE NOT the patron saint of black sportswriters. ::)

If you think Scoop is half the talent Whitlock is (and I'm not someone who thinks every word Whitlock writes is gold), then you need to re-examine who you look up to in the media.

2. He also not Zora Neale Hurston or W.E.B. DuBois.
    (Best spelling gaffe hereabouts in months, BTW).
    You not, either.

3. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Whitlock ISN'T one. Yet, I respect Scoop more. Besides Whitlock showed us who he really is. I'd say Good Riddance.

Actually, we all happy he's contained at AOL and KCStar.

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Woman : Oh stewardess, I speak jive.
    Attendant: Ohhhh, good.
    Woman : He said that he's in great pain and he wants to know if you can help him.
    Attendant: Would you tell him to just relax and I'll be back as soon as I can with some medicine.
    Woman : Jus' hang loose blooood. She goonna catch up on the`rebound a de medcide.
    Jiveman #2: What it is big mamma, my mamma didn't raise no dummy, I dug her rap.
    Woman : Cut me som' slac' jak! Chump don wan no help, chump don git no help. Jive ass dude don got no brains anyhow.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Come on.. .that was no woman, that was June Cleaver!
    Yo.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I read "Their Eyes Were Watching God" recently and I don't think it holds a candle to Richard Wright. It's good, but a very pop-culture sensational style, which is probably why Oprah chose it for her flavor of the month. Otherwise, the book has less staying power. (Although, I must say I was pissed as soon as Tea Cake got bitten by that dog. And the ending was crazy.)

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

No spoilers!

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

.. on the other hand, e. e. cummings took the opposite path

9. vin1284

vin1284 New Member

A little late, but Jason is dead wrong and he thinks he can be some self-appointed defender of black journalism. It seems Jason doesn't quite understand where Scoop comes from, his experiences and what not. They may be different from Whitlock's, which is why I don't think Jason even gave Scoop a love-tap and why I don't think he's qualified to talk about anyone in that way. Scoop writes a certain way, and because you don't understand or agree with it doesn't give you the right to slam it, because in my opinion, it takes a good writer to write that way than the conventional one. I admire both as a young african-american writer for their different perspectives, but Jason went way over the line and my respect for scoop has doubled over this ordeal.

just my .02

10. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Uh oh. Here we go again.

You don't win friends with salad or defenses of Scoop, Vin, at least not around here. Be prepared, they'll be coming for you.

Edit: Unless no one cares anymore.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Black, white, Jewish, lesbian, Bootsian ... who cares? We all write what we write.

People here will be dissing on me soon enough ...

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You suck, Songbird. You suck! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted