1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock done all around ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by loveyabye, Sep 25, 2006.

1. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

He writes about it here:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/15607195.htm

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: Whitlock done all through ESPN

Good for you, J-Dub. Glad you kept your integrity.

3. I've had my issues with Jason but I never doubted his integrity, and this re-inforces that. If you're being employed to voice your opinions, but your employeer (even on an independent contractor basis) won't let you have certain opinions, then there's no use. Good for Jason. Another reason to dislike ESPN, another reason to feel confident that real journalism still exists.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good read.

5. Whitlock was unwatchable subbing in on PTI and the Rome show, but I have a newfound respect for him after reading the blog interview. Good stuff.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't necessarily like Whitlock the poster, but Whitlock the columnist has my respect for this.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Nice stuff. But I gotta admit to liking this:

And I have zero tolerance for when people try to censor my ability to state fair opinions.

Amen. The rides break down too much, the fried oreos aren't worth seven bucks and the 4-H Hall is a SERIOUS letdown.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

He'll be back at ESPN before Bush is out of office.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Whitlock's state fair is a great state fair. But the rest of us would rather see The Moon Is Blue.

10. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Let's be clear, though. He was the dumpee in terms of the other TV commitments, not the dumper. His earlier posts suggested that he thought the page 2 column and the other appearances were separate and distinct, if I remember correctly.

However, knowing what he knows about how think-skinned the worldwide leader is, he had to know that the opinions expressed in that interview would get back to them, and likely lead to what has happened. He didn't back down from those opinions, and accepted the consequences.

Sounds like rather grownup behavior to me. :)

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And that's why you don't give out anti-anxiety placebos to just anybody.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Dear Whitlock,
    Much respect. I applaud you.

Draft saved Draft deleted