1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White Sox hire Robin Ventura as manager

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Better coach, Carlos Martinez or Lance Johnson?

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Gotta go with the One Dog. [/harrelson]

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Right here, but stunned into silence by this completely unexpected hire. Seriously, was he on anyone's radar? I honestly have no idea what to think of this. It's kind of in line with what they did with Ozzie I suppose, but Ozzie had at least been coaching and had spent a year picking Bobby Cox's brain before that even if he did have almost no experience.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

New bullpen coach Bobby Thigpen?

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Particularly enjoyed the Dan Pasqua reference.

Outfield coached by George Bell.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Norm Hitzges is doing color for an ESPN (I think) baseball game and the camera pans down to a tall man running to the bullpen to get loose. There is a a lot of thick white hair bouncing out from underneath his hat as he jogs, and Hitzges just groans.

"Lord, I forgot he was still in baseball."

It was Reuss.

"Well at least they let him wear his age on his shirt."

Ruess was number 47.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I hope Ken Kravec and Rich Wortham made the final interview process.

8. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Experience is overrated.

Dusty Baker has tons of experience. He still sucks. ;-)

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Gene Mauch, if he were still alive, would have no idea what you're talking about.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

BUNNING! MAHAFFEY! BUNNING! MAHAFFEY! BUNNING! MAHAFFEY! BUNN . . . urg . . .gurgle . . . choke . . . whoomp.

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Seeing all those names - and joking aside - didn't those White Sox teams of the early 1990s kind of underachieve? I know they won the division in 1993, but with McDowell, Alvarez, Alex Fernandez, Bere, Thomas, Baines, Cora, Hernandez, Ozzie, Bell, Raines... shouldn't they have been better?

I know they got screwed by the 1994 strike and the Indians rose up to take over that division by 1995, but it seems like that group should've at least knocked on the door of a World Series more than just 1993.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Reinsdorf will take 1994 to his grave.

Right now, they're looking to go cheap until they can figure out what to do with that nine figures of dead-weight contracts currently cemented onto the roster.

Draft saved Draft deleted