1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"White Light/Black Rain" on HBO tonight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

On the anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima, HBO presents a look at the aftermath of the atomic bombing of Japan. I know there's a separate topic on the events themselves, but I thought it would be good to have a thread about the program. I suspect some might see that other thread and avoid it based on certain clues or a quick glance.

I'm curious to see this program, despite my friend's insistence that any "sympathy" for the Japanese equates to being "soft." He has no interest in hearing about Iraqi civilians who've suffered because of the war, and he's even more adamant that this HBO special is misguided. I fear we have many people in our country who think that way, and I wonder why they can't be more open-minded. I have no reason to think the show will be "biased."

Anyway, anyone else interested in this HBO special?

2. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

This is the first I've heard of it. It sounds interesting.

3. boots

boots New Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/45282/

Johnny, this ties in with the anniversary.

4. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

5. Johnny Dangerously

When that other thread gets locked, I hope this one remains civil and functioning.

6. Jesus Christ.
    It's like watching a blind dog try to fetch a stick.

7. Johnny Dangerously

I just laughed louder than I have in weeks.

8. Johnny Dangerously

This is powerful. Anybody watching?

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

heartbreaking. :'( :'( :'(

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I found it very moving - particularly the one woman who'd lost her mother and her sister. I liked her figuration on "two kinds of courage." While a lot of the post-blast American footage was familiar, there was quite a bit of Japanese archival stuff that I'd never seen before.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

You guys aren't talking about the Michael Douglas movie. Makes more sense now. The part where the guy cut off his own finger, that was heartbreaking, in a way.

12. I'm sure the thread was confusing at first, considering "White Light/Black Rain" and "Black Rain" are indistinguishable to the untrained eye, and the first post was painfully vague about the subject matter.

Oh, wait, I get it. You were being funny, in a way.

I agree with jgmacg. It was very moving.

Draft saved Draft deleted