1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White House, NBC News clash

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clerk Typist, May 19, 2008.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Didn't notice this posted elsewhere. White House doesn't like NBC's treatment of Bush quotes in interview. More:
    http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/nbc/wh_vs_nbc_nbc_news_response_85170.asp

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

You don't even have to like Bush to know that NBC News has become a total joke with its news coverage. The Nitwit Broadcasting Corp.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Can somebody help me? I keep hearing a whining noise and I'm not sure where it's coming from.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think it's you.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

6. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

please amplify.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

Olbermann ran extended portions of the interview tonight.

Would somebody please send the White House a case of ice-cold, frosty STFU?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

White House seems to be overreacting here.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the ridiculous smirk on Bush's face when he gave the first line of that poltical calendar answer.

Still - NBC is being manipulative. If you ask the SOB 10 questions, for God's sake, let us see it all, no edits. Don't make people tromp to your Web site, or wait for Olbermann. Play it right at the top, right on the Today Show. What - fuckin Matt, Meredith and Al won't get to spew pointless shit? Ann Curry has to wait 10 minutes to say good morning four times? So what?

It just gets so old, how little the media thinks of its viewers. NBC actually thinks people, deep down, really want to know more about some damn weather report in your neck of the woods than what Bush thinks about Iran.

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Alma, do you run interviews verbatim or do you use only the most telling quotes in a story?

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If the way Alma runs quotes in stories changes the intent or meaning of the speaker, then that's an issue. In this case, perhaps running the unedited footage, since this is kind of an important issue, instead of letting morning talk show dribble take its placce, would be more effective and appropriate.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, it was clearly dishonest, the way it was edited to avoid airing the president's complaint that the NBC reporter had misinterpreted (his view) the remarks at the Knesset.

That said, I don't think it really altered the underlying point Bush was trying to make. The White House guy who was making the rounds of the radio shows through it really changed the context of what he said.

Bottom line, I was happy to hear the W.H. fighting back. If they'd done that with the MSM for the last seven years, his approval ratings would probably be a little less beaten down that they are. Not a lot, maybe, but some.

12. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Keith Olbermann with his smug sarcasm and needling style had a few fans on ESPN, but he has always been a total loser on MSNBC trying to be Mr. Contraire to the Bush administration. It's no wonder Olbermann and MSNBC continually get hammered in the ratings by the likes of Fox News and CNN. His shtick just doesn't play for cable news.

Loser

Draft saved Draft deleted