1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which TV shows did you quit watching after watching for several seasons?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I rarely watch Monday Night Football. Growing up on the west coast, it started so early that by the time I was back from football practice, it was halftime and that was when MNF still mattered.

Now that it colossally sucks, I only watch if the Niners or the local team are playing or if God forbid, they get a really, really good game, which only seems to be the case a couple times a year.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good calls on Grey's and House.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't watch Colbert anymore. I still think he's brilliant, but there aren't enough hours in the day. The only late night shows I watch are The Daily Show and Kimmel.

I also stopped watching Conan for the first time in what seems like ages. I still like him, but it's just not nearly as funny as it used to be when he was on at 12:30.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

From my much younger years, but I gave up on the Cosby Show and Family Ties when the younger kids grew up. Generally speaking, and I'm having a hard time coming up with an exception, puberty is not kind to TV show children.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Sunday and Monday are my TV nights. If they move a show from those nights, I quit watching. Big Bang Theory is a current example (doesn't mean I don't still love and admire Penny).
    If I remember right, Grey's Anatomy changed nights and I quit it.

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

The Office after the whole Jim-and-Pam thing. Once they got married, things started going downhill.

SVU without Stabler is a no-watch now too.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I was a Sunday/Thursday guy in the days before DVRs. If it wasn't on those days, I didn't watch it. Seinfeld and The Simpsons were why that developped for me.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I would think Alyssa Milano on "Who's the Boss" would be the exception.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Gave up on ER after Greene died, but his death really wasn't the biggest factor. It got L.A. Law disease, just randomly pairing people in romances. Greene and Corday had zero chemistry, and what's worse, Corday turned into a harpy and Greene's kid turned into a brat; became unpleasant to watch when they were on. And Benton being occupied with his deaf son (and the P.C. wet kiss of not getting the operation that would give the kid hearing) took away a big part of the dynamic. Maura Tierney just kinda started taking up space, and Noah Wyle didn't have the chops to carry the show. Sherry Stringfield returning was about the only saving grace at that point.

10. dooley_womack1

Some others.
    --House: Watched it about 3-4 years, then it got boring. There's only so many ways you can have House be an asshole, Cuddy be walked over and Foreman be indignant.
    --L.A. Law: Didn't watch the last 2-3 years. Too much Susan Ruttan, and too many of the random hookups I mentioned earlier.
    --Happy Days: Watched the first 7-8 years, until it became totally about Fonzie, and of course the Ted McGinley curse.
    --Bones: Just got tired of Bones and Booth finding the umpteenth way not to hook up.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I have abandoned all of the procedurals. The original Law and Order lost me when Briscoe left, gave SVU a try but it was too depressing. I have found that as I have gotten a bit older and had kids that I have no appetite for the constant portrayal of women and children as victims. This is the reason I never gave Criminal Minds a shot.

CSI pretty much lost me the same way although Caruso is entertaining for the wrong reasons.

ER, House, Simpsons were must see TV that fell off the watch list because the payoff was not worth the time invested.

I may give NCIS a watch based on the other TV thread. From the ads I thought it was bad JAG knock off.

12. dooley_womack1

Oh, SVU I've given up on. It started to grow old when every case was an excuse for an ethics/philosophy/fact-tossing debate among the detectives that Dick Wolf would have with his friends, but detectives would not. The stunts, like almost killing Stabler's wife in a crash, were a turnoff, too. Not to mention the boring ups and downs of Stabler's marriage.

Draft saved Draft deleted