1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which team will Lebron choose?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jul 8, 2010.

?

Which team will Lebron James anoint as worthy of his talent?

Poll closed Jul 9, 2010.
  1. Da Bulls

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Staying home in Cleveland

20 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Going back to Miami

20 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. The Knickerbockers

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. Who gives a shit, it's the NBA

10 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. Who gives a shit? He lost me with this dog-and-pony show.

21 vote(s)
    28.0%
  7. Other

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. CR19

CR19 Member

I have a strange feeling that if James doesn't pick Miami, Broussard may be joining the octopus.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That would be an awesome announcement. "I want a championship but at the end of the day I'm deeply concerned about the tax implications. My accountants are crunching the numbers and at this time I don't have enough information to make a choice. But stay tuned, SportsCenter is NEXT!"

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm hoping for a special guest appearance by Brett Favre to make tonight's show even more "special."

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He's not going to commit the next six years of his life to a city and a franchise to undo damage that mostly exists in the minds of us overly analytic sports writers. Most of the nation is highly entertained by this. There's no damage to undo. It's been a pleasant diversion for people from the oil spill, Afghanistan, the economy, etc., etc.

What has he really done to damage his image? Waited a whole week to decide where he wants to live for the next five years? Dressed inappropriately (my complaint)? He hasn't killed anyone. He hasn't raped anyone. He hasn't stolen anything. He has tried to make a measured decision about his future.

I ask again: What damage?

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The only way LeBron can save himself now is to go on ESPN tonite and way, "It's not the Heat, it's the home city."

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Highly entertained? Pleasant diversion? YGBFKM.

It wasn't too long ago LeBron was generally considered that rare athlete — a genuine superstar with limited ego. Now we see that he's just a typical self-absorbed athlete. He has completely and utterly bought into the hype, and I believe that has made a fair amount of people watch this past week's coverage and think, "What the fuck happened to this guy?"

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I hope he dresses up in a wedding gown and announces he's playing for the Liberty.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

If we're basing this solely on cities that inspire songs, the New York is the clear favorite with Chicago edging past Miami for second. Sorry, Cleveland, but your two signature songs were the Drew Carey Show themes.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Because of the show tonight? What else? Why is it LeBron James' fault that the media was overhyping the story. How should have he handled this differently? The two-time MVP of the league who has been a superstar since high school was available, with New York, Miami, and Chicago coming to woo him, and his hometown team trying to keep him. It's been a fun story to follow, but the story fed itself. How was he "self-absorbed" during the process? He's been largely invisible.

And, yes, highly entertained and pleasant diversion. Everyone is talking about where he's going to end up. People are eating it up.

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

LeBron set up the "special" for this evening. Not even Favre pulled this kind of crap. Only in the NBA, folks. It reeks of ridiculousness. I'll give you entertaining -- but this is self-absorption to the twenty-third power.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, I've said Cleveland for almost two years now, so no point in changing now.

Sad to see the shenanigans this has become, but our brethren in the media are the ones to blame.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So that's what it means.

Draft saved Draft deleted