1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which state has the worst drivers?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Mar 27, 2008.

?

Which state has the worst drivers?

1. Illinois (correct answer)

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Anywhere else (wrong answer)

22 vote(s)
    91.7%
  1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I take offense to that. Us Kentuckians don't deserve to be lumped in with those damn noise makers.

>.<

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I've driven around the Northeast, but nothing comes close to South Florida. It's crazy down there. Next fall I'll get to see what's it like in SoCal.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Obviously, Rusty's never seen an Alabama right turn -- which consists of you driving down the straight road with all of the right-of-way you want and not a car in front or in back of you for miles , except for that one beat-to-shit ride blocks in front of you that waits................ and waits ...................... and waits to pull out, finally doing so 300 feet before you hit the intersection at 45-to-60 miles per hour, then looks at you like you were from MArs when you lean on your horn and swear like Slappy because this driver is too oblivious to have a license.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What state is David Ragan from?

Okay then ... that one.

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Damn, I was wondering what that weird sensation was when I turned the keys. Thank God it's genetic! I'm off the hook! ::)

I drive I-95 on a daily basis. I've seen asshole drivers with plates from Massachusetts to Florida, inclusive. Virginia and Maryland drivers can be equally shitty; Virginia folks for their general impatience and Maryland folks because - as I've said here before - I could steal Jimmie Johnson's car out of Richmond, drive north on 95 and I swear someone from Maryland would ride my ass because I ain't keeping up their speed.

6. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I just meant that those states have the most Illinois drivers zipping through just-turned-red lights at 20 over the limit.

I've lived in West Virginia, Missouri and Illinois. Drivers in Illinois are so much worse than drivers from anywhere else I've been it's not funny. And several times on road trips since I've lived in Illinois, hundreds of miles away, I'd see a driver doing something stupid and/or dangerous and sure enough, he'd have an Illinois plate. That's what seals it for me. Not only do they suck just driving around the state and STL as a whole, but when you're on a two-lane highway hundreds of miles away, with cars in both lanes going 10 under the speed limit side-by-side and backing up traffic -- when you finally get to them, they're both from Illinois. That's why they're the worst -- they bring their suckitude with them wherever they go.

Anecdotally -- I've been in four accidents in three years living in Illinois, but none have been my fault. All happened in Illinois with an Illinois driver at fault. In six years as a driver before that, I was in two -- both my fault.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

I'll take Oklahoma drivers for 200, Alex.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Not so sure about taking the train.
    http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1082906&srvc=home&position=also

Try walking, just don't cross the street.

9. doctor x

doctor x Member

Florida's at a disadvantage here. It is judged on the combination of its own bad drivers -- there are plenty -- and culls from other states (lost tourists, retirees, etc.). A Florida tag doesn't mean that much in the Orlando area because chances are it's a rental.

10. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I'm not sure how Illinois even is considered. I've driven from top to bottom of Illinois on I-57 a number of times, and it's rather tame. Only in Chicagoland is there even the threat of crazy drivers, and that's nothing compared to Florida, where you have the vacationers and grandma from Ohio driving down the road with their signals on and their maps out while some 18-year-old kid in a car with a white hood, blue doors and a red rear end weaves in and out of the interstate lanes at 100 mph, just fast enough to cause some grumpy semi driver to pull out his shotgun and hold the barrel out the window.

Orlando was ranked the rudest city in the country last year. I've read stories about people being shot because the car behind them wanted them to run the red light.

A few weeks ago, a guy in a 2002 Mini Cooper cut off a few cars at a high rate of speed, flew off an exit ramp and fell 100 feet into a pond.

I've never been to Texas, but I could see them in the top five along with Georgia. I imagine New York, Connecticut, Jersey and California should be in the running, too.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I was only kidding, RS. Just forgot the blue font is all.

12. rube

rube Active Member

I lived in Indiana for a short while and they had some ridiculously slow drivers. Not just cautious, but the types that would cause accidents because they drug ass so much.

Draft saved Draft deleted