1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which sport team do you prefer....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Feb 4, 2020.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Reflecting on carnage after the SB debacle, was thinking at least it’s hoops time but then it’s not like last 5 yrs with Ws. So thinking it’s pitchers and catchers reporting time but that’s a dead end too (Giants). I guess I’d rather have Giants contending over the others because baseball was/is my first love And it’s the summer sport.
    You?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Missouri Jayhawks are a good rings team.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I still prefer the NFL. The games are only once a week over a four month period, so it's a relatively easy sport to follow closely. Plus fantasy football. Still, March Madness is tough to beat, too.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

When a season ends, I generally care not at all about it until that sport starts again. I don’t care about the minute of offseason crap, especially the NFL.

I will, however, enjoy the Chiefs SB victory for a while.

I Should Coco and Inky_Wretch like this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It is odd - I don't think any league comes close to day in day out fan interest like the NFL. I'll tune in to the NBA for the conference semis after a team has won a couple of games. I'll follow the first and last weekend's of March Madness and the last two days of the Masters. And it's an Olympics year so that will be fun. But that's maybe a month of intense fan interest between now an Labor Day.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The wall-to-wall coverage of each sports' offseason is weird to me. Yeah, yeah, content, content, content. But I can't imagine there's that much interest in the NFL OTAs or NBA summer league. Could be wrong, I guess.

It's also why I think the XFL will flop - again. Super Bowl is over ... people are ready to watch basketball and baseball and hockey for a bit. We need a palate cleanser.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

To the question ... I'd take the Caps winning over any of the teams I follow. By a large margin...

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The NFL used to be appointment TV for me. I'd watch the 1 o'clock game, the 4 o'clock game, then the Sunday night game and the Monday night game.

Ever since the league began sounding off against the players for kneeling, I've watched a grand total of two NFL games from start to finish. One was the Chiefs-49ers Super Bowl.

College lacrosse has become for me what the NFL used to be. I've literally rearranged my work schedule around lacrosse games.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Caps. Not even close. As much as I enjoyed the Nationals winning the World Series, it didn't compare to how I felt when the Caps won the Cup.

Something about the Stanley Cup. Greatest trophy in sports.

OscarMadison, garrow and Cosmo like this.
  10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Blue Jays and it isn't even close. And I say that as a guy who has made his living in hockey for the last 20 years.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

See? The Caps winning the Stanley Cup didn't move me the way the Nationals did.

Sure, I enjoyed the hell out of the Caps breaking the curse, but there was something about the Nationals last year. Perhaps it's because of how they kept having to battle back and "stay in the fight," but to this day, anytime I play "Vindicated" by Dashboard Confessional, I invariably think of Nats highlights and then I start tearing up. And I don't usually cry.

My connections to Maryland lacrosse and Maryland men's soccer are MUCH more personal.

heyabbott likes this.
  12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Don't "prefer" any team. My desire to be a fan of any organization died shortly after I got into this industry. Saw enough behind the curtain to wonder how anyone can, but I guess indoctrination in youth is tough for most to break.

As far as sports go, basketball. I could skip just about everything else, including football.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted