1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which sport is the most difficult to master?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Feb 14, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This came about from a comment by Gold regarding mastering basketball versus hockey fundamentals.
    Each sport has its own complexities but I'd venture that hockey is a much more difficult sport.

However, in terms of all the sports, I'll throw out my two cents worth.

Most difficult to least difficult:

1) Baseball
    2) Hockey
    3) Golf
    4) Football
    5) Basketball

And no, this thread will not end well. :)

2. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Golf is the hardest game to master.
    Ask anyone who's ever played.
    Like Mick Jagger says: It's tough, tough, tough, tough, tough !
    It's really fun, though, to pull off a good shot.

3. tommyp

tommyp Member

Golf. Hands down.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think your list is accurate. Golf is difficult, sure, but the ball is sitting still for chrissakes. Nothing more difficult than hitting a baseball.

5. Played baseball from birth, and was lucky enough to have the ability to hit and throw.

Started taking golf seriously at 20, worked my way to a 4 handicap (before kids) and now am somewhere around a 10. I'm hoping now that the kids are a bit older (and my son can join me on the course) to bring that back down this summer.

All that said, hitting a golf ball the right distance and in the direction I want on a repetitive basis is the most difficult athletic skill I've ever tried to master. I can take months or even years off from baseball, basketball, soccer or football and walk onto a field and step right back into the action. It's like riding a bike.

When the temperature finally does get above freezing a gazillion months from now, however, I will walk onto the range knowing that my golf game will be in shambles after just a few months off.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It's been said that the hardest thing to do in sports is hit a baseball. However, after hearing from co-workers and friends, golf might be the most maddening. Tough call.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My take on golf--I started playing golf when I was ten--anybody who has the time and money to take lessons, play at least three times a week and take more lessons can be a pretty good golfer--and by pretty good I'll arbitrarily say under a 10 handicap.

You can't say that about hitting a baseball. Or catching a 100 mph fastball.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I think JR's right.

There are a lot of people, me included, who could get all the instruction in the world and still never be able to hit a 90 mph fastball or a late-breaking slider.

But even a mediocre golfer like me can occasionally pull off a pro-worthy shot.

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

1) Baseball
    2) Hockey
    3) Golf
    5) Basketball
    4) Football

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Team sports I'd say hockey would be the toughest, followed by baseball.

Individual sports? Golf. And it's not even close.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Agreed although pole vaulting is up there. :)

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Memo from Andy Roddick:

"You golfers will get 100 holes-in-one before you will ever be able to return just one of my serves."

"By the way, as soon as my legs are shot . . . I think I'll become a scratch golfer, like some of my former collegues have done."

Draft saved Draft deleted