1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which sport is the most difficult to master?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Feb 14, 2007.

1. JR

JR Active Member

This came about from a comment by Gold regarding mastering basketball versus hockey fundamentals.
    Each sport has its own complexities but I'd venture that hockey is a much more difficult sport.

However, in terms of all the sports, I'll throw out my two cents worth.

Most difficult to least difficult:

1) Baseball
    2) Hockey
    3) Golf
    4) Football
    5) Basketball

And no, this thread will not end well. :)

2. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Golf is the hardest game to master.
    Ask anyone who's ever played.
    Like Mick Jagger says: It's tough, tough, tough, tough, tough !
    It's really fun, though, to pull off a good shot.

3. tommyp

tommyp Member

Golf. Hands down.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think your list is accurate. Golf is difficult, sure, but the ball is sitting still for chrissakes. Nothing more difficult than hitting a baseball.

5. Played baseball from birth, and was lucky enough to have the ability to hit and throw.

Started taking golf seriously at 20, worked my way to a 4 handicap (before kids) and now am somewhere around a 10. I'm hoping now that the kids are a bit older (and my son can join me on the course) to bring that back down this summer.

All that said, hitting a golf ball the right distance and in the direction I want on a repetitive basis is the most difficult athletic skill I've ever tried to master. I can take months or even years off from baseball, basketball, soccer or football and walk onto a field and step right back into the action. It's like riding a bike.

When the temperature finally does get above freezing a gazillion months from now, however, I will walk onto the range knowing that my golf game will be in shambles after just a few months off.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It's been said that the hardest thing to do in sports is hit a baseball. However, after hearing from co-workers and friends, golf might be the most maddening. Tough call.

7. JR

JR Active Member

My take on golf--I started playing golf when I was ten--anybody who has the time and money to take lessons, play at least three times a week and take more lessons can be a pretty good golfer--and by pretty good I'll arbitrarily say under a 10 handicap.

You can't say that about hitting a baseball. Or catching a 100 mph fastball.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I think JR's right.

There are a lot of people, me included, who could get all the instruction in the world and still never be able to hit a 90 mph fastball or a late-breaking slider.

But even a mediocre golfer like me can occasionally pull off a pro-worthy shot.

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

1) Baseball
    2) Hockey
    3) Golf
    5) Basketball
    4) Football

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Team sports I'd say hockey would be the toughest, followed by baseball.

Individual sports? Golf. And it's not even close.

11. JR

JR Active Member

Agreed although pole vaulting is up there. :)

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Memo from Andy Roddick:

"You golfers will get 100 holes-in-one before you will ever be able to return just one of my serves."

"By the way, as soon as my legs are shot . . . I think I'll become a scratch golfer, like some of my former collegues have done."

Draft saved Draft deleted