1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which pro franchise is most in need of a new owner?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

DanielSimpsonDay and bigpern23 like this.
  2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I’d argue that having less success, alienating fans and running the team so poorly that free agents won’t come to your city makes the Knicks more in need of new ownership.

Nutting inspires apathy. Dolan inspires anger.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Absolutely! I remember Julie all the way back to Kansas City.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I haven't covered a Suns game since 2004, but I was watching a game this year and noticed her on press row. Surprised she was still there, just because people job hop and what not.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, trust me. Nutting inspires anger, too. I lost interest in the Pirates before he even took over. His predecessor wasn't much better, though it has always been a little unclear when exactly he got control behind closed doors, and I just couldn't bring myself to invest emotionally in what I believed was a fixed game. I wouldn't quite use that rhetoric now, but the playing field is still slanted more than any other major sport in this country. That said, even I get frustrated with Nutting because he is not fulfilling his responsibility to my hometown. It's not just that he pockets most of what he gets from revenue sharing and won't even come close to spending what he could while still making a profit. It's that he lies about it constantly, claiming that the team is out to win rather than just protect his bottom line. I can't imagine the sense of ongoing betrayal any Pirates fan with half a brain should feel.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Cuban

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

For competitive reasons, Knicks.
    But for lost revenue opportunities, I’m with you. Knicks still sell out. Redskins attendance has stagnated at best.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

If no baseball is played this year...
    And MLB still has players paid...
    And owners will lose money this season...
    Nutting sells?
    Cuban buys?

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Jack Robinson's mom

11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

One thing about the Lions
    They have been rebuilding since 1957 but they have had a lot of stars
    When I was a kid it was Joe Schmidt, Alex Karras, Mel Farr and Lem Barney
    Then Billy Sims, Barry Sanders, Herman Moore, Chris Spielman, Calvin Johnson
    Now it’s Matthew Stafford
    I covered a game in Buffalo once and the Lions PR guy told me trips like that were special because a place like that only saw Barry once or twice and he loved to see the excitement of Bills fans who saw him

12. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Absolutely nothing to do with the topic, but has any number in sports deserved to be retired more than the Lions' No. 20? And is there another number, on any team, ever, in any sport, that was worn by three players of this caliber -- two all-time greats and another who would have been had his knees held up?

Draft saved Draft deleted