1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which previously successful coaches are unhirable?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He took Stanford to the Rose Bowl for the first time in 29 years. That alone makes him successful, regardless of what happened afterward.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

He got the Notre Dame gig only after the George O'Leary fiasco. It never seemed to be a comfortable arrangement.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Mike Keenan was once considered unemployable, then started getting hired (fired), hired (fired), hired (fired), hired (fired). He appears to be back in coaching purgatory.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Notre Dame hired Willingham because it was probably the one hire it could make that would make people stop talking about the O'Leary debacle.

It was always a bad fit. It's kind of unfortunate, because if he hadn't taken the ND job, he was probably a year or two away from going to the NFL.

Apparently he did something while at ND during his second or third season (I don't know if it was a simple and winning and losing) where everybody's opinion of the guy completely changed. I get the impression that people didn't think he was stable.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Ralph Friedgen is at least a welterweight. He'd be a damn good catch for someone on the MAC/C-USA level too.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

In what world is Charlie Weis a "truly successful" coach?

Ralph Friedgen was better, though I disagree with dixiehack because he's 65.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

As a matter of fact, there is a resolution.
    "Hey Bill Moos, Marquess here. Did I really claim Mr. Leach abused me? Aww shucks, didn't mean nuthin' by it. Peace out dude!"

Or something along those lines. What a load of BS.

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2012/dec/12/marqeuss-wilson-moos-i-was-never-trying-harm-university/

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Methinks he meant "retracted."

Draft saved Draft deleted