1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which players are in the baseball HOF who don't deserve to be?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 22, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

So is he.

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

The problem is there are a lot of non-great players in the Hall who got in through the Vets committee. Harry Hooper, Tommy McCarthey, Pud Galvin, Rube Waddell just to name a few off the top.

Of the moderns, Perez was a good player, but never really great. He played a long time, and never finished better than third in MVP voting. However, his teammates raved about him for years and he did play on a lot of winning clubs. Really, was he ever more than fourth most feared player on the 70s Reds? Fifth?

Flame away

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Paul Molitor:

Oldest Player
    1996 AL-39-4: .341 avg, 225 hits, 113 RBIs, 13th in MVP voting.
    1997 AL-40-4 - .306 avg, 164 hits, 89 RBIs.
    1998 AL-41-2 - .281 avg, 141 hits, 69 RBIs.

The numbers diminish, yeah, but how many players could hit .281 with that type of production while still playing in 75 percent of his team's games? He's pretty great in my eyes. Molitor was in the Top 10 in average 11 times -- third at 39 years old -- in the Top 5 in hits during nine season, leading the league three times, a World Series MVP, and he played less than half his games at DH (even though I think that's irrelevant; he also shouldn't be typecast).

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Seems like I've been saying this for 15 years: George Foster was the most feared slugger on the Big Red Machine. And he never got a sniff of the HOF.
    Joe Morgan and Johnny Bench were greater players, but none more feared with the stick than Foster.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Joe Morgan invented baseball, you know...

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Yes, I've heard him say that ...

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I know how Perez got in. You missed my joke.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Here is a great article by Joe Posnanski about judging old hall of fame cases with new found stats.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/joe_posnanski/12/22/rice.thomas/index.html

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Reds won six MVPs in eight years, with five of those being Morgan, Rose or Bench. So Perez was finishing behind his own guys, which you can hold against him or give him a pass depending on which side of the argument you're on. Maybe he wasn't the most feared, but that's not a great argument to keep him out. Does a team like that not deserve multiple HOFers?

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I remember watching him play hoops at AZ.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Tony Lazzeri.

Phil Rizzuto, for openers.

You need a couple of peep-show mopboys to clear all the Yankee spillage.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

It's a good piece. And his arguments against Morris' induction make a lot of sense to me.

Also, he raises an interesting question regarding Fred Lynn. If he stays his whole career in Boston, does he make the Hall?

Draft saved Draft deleted