1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which players are in the baseball HOF who don't deserve to be?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 22, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Longevity is measured in numbers, too. It's worth something.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Another reason he shouldn't be in

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And you Brewers/Twins fanbois: I said Molitor should be in the Hall of Fame with 3,300 hits. I would feel differently if he had 2,800-2,900. That's where the Baines comparison comes in.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Face it, if Molitor played in New York or Los Angeles, there would not be a discussion.

Definitely a Hall of Famer.

And one hell of a classy guy.

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

OK, OK, I'll admit that Molitor is among the least non-deserving of the non-deserving (figure that out). I don't begrudge the people who say he's a HOFer, but to me he's borderline. He's borderline because he was a one-trick pony: he got a ton of hits.

Defense? Power?

I'm not saying he wasn't a damn good ballplayer, but to me the HOF is not for the damn good, but for the great.

I think, in general, there are too many guys in the HOF. Guys like Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, etc. shouldn't be classified the same as guys like Sutton, Sandberg, Carter, Phil Niekro, Molitor, Yount, etc.

That said, it's difficult to close the door now. Once the precedent is set that Player X is in, you almost have to vote for Player Y with similar stats, even though neither player is Willie Mays.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

There was a time I felt that Carl Yastrzemski didn't belong, that he was a prime example of a compiler.

I think I'm wrong on that feeling now, but the venomous hate mail I got for putting that view into print made me dig in and hate on Yaz for years and years. 8)

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hits
    Pete Rose 4,256
    Ty Cobb 4,189
    Hank Aaron 3,771
    Stan Musial 3,630
    Tris Speaker 3,514
    Carl Yastrzemski 3,419
    Honus Wagner 3,415
    Paul Molitor 3,319
    Eddie Collins 3,315
    Willie Mays 3,283

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

HALL OF FAMER!!!!

He's behind Jeff Freakin Kent

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And where does he rank with other second basemen?

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

His name came up in passing, but I think he might be No. 1 in this category:

Phil Freakin' Niekro

Should be a charter member of the Hall of Pretty Good for a Very Long Time

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Overrated at any position... put him on the Royals or Pirates instead of the loveable Cubbies and he's not in consideration

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Ron Santo. Oh, wait.

Draft saved Draft deleted