1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Oscar looser wins first?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Feb 26, 2007.

?

Which often-nominated Oscar looser will win first?

1. Kate Winslett

30.8%
  2. Leonardo DiCaprio

57.7%
  3. Johnny Depp

11.5%
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying this is the case with Slappy, but I think a lot of that sentiment is people who see Leo as a pretty boy who looks too good to be a great actor. I know that was my initial impression of him back when Titanic came out and it took a few great roles to change my mind.

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

A quick look at IMDB.com shows that both Depp and DiCaprio have movies set that are certainly Oscar bait. Depp is going to be in the film version of "Sweeny Todd" coming out for Christmas 2007, while DiCaprio will play a young Teddy Roosevelt in a movie set to come out in 2008. Winslet has nothing set, as of now.
    Oh, and if you wanna talk actors who are due to win Oscars -- Julianne Moore and Edward Norton ought to be on the list.

3. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Leo is a fantastic actor. If he sticks with Marty for a few more movies, he's bound to win one.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Leo and Winslet will both eventually win... The best actresses who have never won are Winslet and Annette Bening.

I don't remember who beat DiCaprio when he was nominated for Gilbert Grape, but that was one of the best performances I've ever seen...

5. Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive.

6. Mizzougrad96

Tommy Lee Jones is great, but it's not on the same level as DiCaprio in Gilbert Grape...

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

leo is a tremendous actor. so is depp. both long ago shed the "just a pretty boy" label. 8) :eek: 8)

9. Mizzougrad96

It's interesting... If you look at the most popular female actresses, a large percentage have won Oscars...

Julia Roberts
    Nicole Kidman
    Catherine Zeta-Jones
    Renee Zellwegger
    Reese Witherspoon
    Angelina Jolie

Most of the most popular male actors have not... Russell Crowe, Denzel and Kevin Spacey may be the only exceptions...

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

To be fair, it seems like the list of actresses who are offered Oscar-caliber roles is much shorter than the list of men. It seems like male actors can come out of nowhere to win one, while actresses seem to fall into three categories (with a few exceptions): Shows tits but doesn't act well, is good to bring in the drooling masses; Shows tits, but usually only when its integral to a demanding role; Either doesn't show tits or is too old to show tits, and does nothing but great dramatic roles.

It's obviously an oversimplification, but I just think there are so many more roles out there for men that the hardware gets spread out a little more.

I'd love to know the breakdown on the number of roles for men compared to women.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I just like that in a post talking about actresses showing their breasts, you also included the phrase spread the hardware around... :)

12. Mizzougrad96

That's a good point...

If you had to make a list of A-list actors and A-list actresses, I'd bet the men's list is about four times longer than the women's...

Draft saved Draft deleted